Not open for further replies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hm-m-m...Will was there. He called me from there to tell me about the Florida box turtles that were for sale. I guess there were just too many hats to single out one of them.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
JD is right about the door situation. They have got to do something about that. An experience like that will make people never want to return.

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
Tom said:
I thought you said you were already going. I would have offered to let you carpool. I took my little girl, met some friends and we all had a great time.

I though I was too. But my sister has a basketball tournament in mammoth this week and he said that that is going to be very costly and he couldn't take me :'( I was so excited for months too. I kept reminding him but he forgot. That sucks I couldn't go :'(

ckidd_1999

5 Year Member
This year was my second time going and it was great! But like how everybody mentioned the door situation was terrible. I got there at 12 and the line was really long but I didn't Hv to wait for more than 20 min when I thought I would Hv to wait an hour. I finally met Tyler and Sarah and they helped me pick out the right seed for my Greek tort so I can plant it later this year. So excited! I forgot to tell him tho tht I was from the tortoise forum :/. But great show! Can't wait till next year

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
We just got home from California and had a great time. Tom came and went on Saturday. I did meet Will (guess I forgot to mention it to Tom). I met a few other TFO people thru the weekend, few of them were today (Sunday). I don't know usernames very well to faces, but I do remember Will (he pointed out the hat he was wearing). We had a good show and a fun time. We even made it to the Anaheim Supercross race on Saturday night with another vendor couple we are friends with (Scott Austin Reptiles). I still didn't really get to see too much myself at the show; I heard there were baby pancakes somewhere.... Part of getting my wife to go with me was that I didn't abandon her at my booth like I usually do, so I tried my hardest to stay there :)

I also thought the line was a bad thing and/or a distraction.... I went out at like noon on Saturday and there was a huge line. Everyone was "excited" like "did you see how many people are trying to get in!?!?!" People in the show think it's a great thing that the line is a half mile long, but I kept thinking "how many of those people are going to walk away?" They do need to be pre-selling wristbands an hour before or something, or have 10 people taking cash at the door (we have 3 people taking cash at our Vegas show which is much smaller, but we hate having a line making people wait outside). Thanks for everyone that came by and said hi!

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
I got there about 9:50 am on Sat, got in by 10:15. I left by 1:00pm the crowd had become so thick, there was no open floor space, it was no longer people walking about, but a huge shuffling mass.

There was more exposed floor space behind the vendor tables than in front.

One vendor (SLOGecko) just behind ZooMed (up at the front) had several captive bred chelonians. They had CB pancakes, and they looked funny, not pyramided, but the shell looked weirdly thick. They had several Florida box turtles at $225 each, and other species I did not pay attention to. The Waterland tubs people had several aquatic turtle all looking good and healthy, some other vendor called Sunbelt had turtles and tortoises too, but the display looked funky, and I eavesdropped on what I would characterize as less than quality husbandry advice, (hatchling sulcata OK in dry conditions). Deer Fern Farms had pancakes, specki, and others, but once bitten twice shy with these guys for me. One vendor had larger (8 to 10 inches maybe) sulcata that were not pyramided, so that was good to see. One clean and good looking smaller pancake for $175, among supplies and snakes at another vendor's table, but I left it.

I few turtles here and there throughout, but ball pythons, bearded dragons and leopard gecko contributed to 90% of the reptile biomass in the show.

Oh yeah, Tortoise Supply, clean, good looking animals and contemporary books. Presentation is excellent. Things are laid out, not jumbled in a pile.

Trade shows have gotten boring and crowded. So many people walking around texting, taking photos of friends/family ACROSS a walkway, strollers etc. The line was crazy, same at the Sacto Show a few months ago. Boring, all so many of the same animals over and over again. There are about 10,000 species of herps, and I bet not more than 200 hundred were there for sale.

I like all the inverts people had, some orchid mantids were nice to see. Many tarantulas too. At least two book dealers, Russ Gurley, and Mike Dee were on hand. I recall when book dealers were more prominent, and that was the best place to find books, at a show, (got a copy of the crying tortoise finally) so that's what I'm talking about.

A few plant dealers had a spectacular display of bromeliads, cactus etc. frankly more than I have seen at some plant shows, so that was good too.

What I miss about shows are the people who would go to adjust their own personal collection, like maybe sell-off their own surplus, and look to buy others. The occasional animal you had never seen before, not even at a zoo, etc. Seems like that is gone these days.

I plan to go to the Reptile Super Show in San Diego (July 6/7) later this year, maybe find the few tortoises I'd like to buy and be willing to part together into a colony.

Will

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
Will said:
I plan to go to the Reptile Super Show in San Diego (July 6/7) later this year, maybe find the few tortoises I'd like to buy and be willing to part together into a colony.

Will

Could you direct me to a website for that one?

Status
Not open for further replies.