Not open for further replies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I don't do twitter, facebook, or any of those awful time consumers. And now they are starting to infringe on my TV watching. I'm seeing @ and # all over the place.

Please tell me why someone has to put @ in front of a person's name. And what in the world does it mean when they use #?

MoireErin

5 Year Member
Knobs of KY
the @ is directed at a person or place and the # is the symbol for 'hashtag' that is now being used everywhere...aggravating IMHO

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
So you're telling me that without the @ the message doesn't get delivered to the person it's intended for?

And I still don't get hashtag. Oh well, I'll look it up on GOOGLE. GOOGLE is still my friend! :p

MoireErin

5 Year Member
Knobs of KY
Yvonne G said:
So you're telling me that without the @ the message doesn't get delivered to the person it's intended for?

And I still don't get hashtag. Oh well, I'll look it up on GOOGLE. GOOGLE is still my friend! :p

I still don't understand hashtag or twitter for that matter-LOL
GOOGLE IS AWESOME!! :D

RosieRedfoot

5 Year Member
Columbia, SC
I don't get hash tags either. If you posted a tortoise picture you could post something like "Here's my tortoise #cute #tortoise #iloveturtles" and if someone looked up/followed cute or tortoise or iloveturtles they'd see it... Or I suspect that's how it's supposed to work. The @ notifies someone of a post they're tagged in.. It's basically a way for someone to know they're being mentioned in a post.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
instagram? or something... the hashtag... and Yvonne.. Im 50 and have no clue either! I don't get it...

diaboliqueturtle

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
RosieRedfoot said:
I don't get hash tags either. If you posted a tortoise picture you could post something like "Here's my tortoise #cute #tortoise #iloveturtles" and if someone looked up/followed cute or tortoise or iloveturtles they'd see it... Or I suspect that's how it's supposed to work. The @ notifies someone of a post they're tagged in.. It's basically a way for someone to know they're being mentioned in a post.

Thank you! I'm clueless about that stuff too ;-P

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
Re: RE: Please help this old timer with computer jargon

Yvonne G said:

Correct :)

Russian_Tortoise

5 Year Member
Pacific Northwest
@:
This means that you are directing a comment at someone (most likely on Twitter or Instagram). If someone had the screen name of The Ultimate Tortoise and they posted a photo you wanted to comment on; you would say "@The Ultimate Tortoise ~insert whatever you wanted to say here~" Without the @ sign they would not receive a notice that you posted.

#:
Otherwise known as the hashtag. If you were to post a tortoise photo you could add words that relate to the photo, but you would put a hash tag in front of them. For example: Bowser had fun in the sun today! #tortoise #fun and so on. If someone were to search one of the words you listed that had a # in front of it; your photo would show up.

Hope that made a little sense...

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
I love Facebook, but I see zero purpose for Twitter. MAYBE a specific critical news story or something important, but Justin Beeber???? Who cares? How does knowing some "kid star's" every move improve my day?

I'm with you. I just don't get it. Not bashing either, just really scratching my head over it all.

I also (and this goes for this forum as well), do not understand why people can't use full sentences. A few abbreviations here and there are fine, but seriously??? What did some people miss in English class? No punctuation, no grammar, and I'm sorry but "you" is just that...not the letter "u". HUGE pet peeve of mine. Take 30 more seconds and write correctly, geeeeeeeeeeeez. [PURPLE HEART]

Back when texting first started, and T9 was a huge pain in the bottom, yes, I abbreviated because hitting 17 keystrokes to spell a 3 letter word was time consuming when I wanted to send a quick "on my way" note.

Now, with the advent of smart phones with full keyboards, it seems to have gotten worse, not better and I seriously am concerned if people still know how to type in complete sentences.
I review resumes and cover letters every day, and most are appalling. Poor spelling, poor grammar, incomplete and run-on sentences....and these are people with college degrees!!!! (Smashes head into desk repeatedly).

Sure I make typos, spelling errors and often I totally miss that my iPad autocorrect changes my word. But overall, I like to think I am correct...for the most part. [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Sandy in Oregon
Veterinary Technician, 21 years of critter luvin'
Schlomo aka "Mo" the rescue Sulcata, "man without a face"
"Larry" the Golden Greek..adopted
Dexter and Lola (Basenjis...show dogs extraordinare)

No kids, no husband, just critters and I'm happy.
Sent from my iPad using TortForum mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.