Please help (sod for Rf tortoises?)

REDfoots

5 Year Member
Hello I was wondering I have 2 red foot tortoises about 2 1/2 years old and I want to redo their entire enclosure. I was wondering if I was able to put sod in there enclosure so it's all grass and put a misting system in (PVC system on a timer). Please get back to me ASAP and let me know if I can use sod I was going to try and do it tomorrow :) thank you

Jacob

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
yes Sir ....... not a problem . Give your new sod a good leaching once placed.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
yes you can ......if this is an indoor enclosure you will need to take a few things into consideration. First would be to be to lay a water proof membrane on the bottom of enclosure, on top of that you need a growing " mediuim" "Rockwool" or gunny sacks filled with some potting soil....and lay flat about 1/2". ( this is necessary for the sod to " root" into something. Put before laying sod, you will need to provide some sort of drainage. Either weep holes with a tub underneath, or lay a pipe down at the center of the enclosure (that has 1/4 holes in it ) and tilt this to either end ....and again you will need a catch basin. If this is out doors .....lay away . The hot tip on buying home depot's sod is to chum up to the garden guy and find out when they have the " fresh" delivery ....as this tend to be the easiest to root and transfer ( still fresh from being cut in the field ) .

"Green Thumbs Up"
JD~:D

REDfoots

5 Year Member
Thank you so much N2TORTS I will post pitures later today of the finished product

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Please be careful when buying sod. Some places grow it with plastic mesh in the root system. This plastic sometimes works its way up to the surface and it could possible catch a tortoise's leg or neck in the loops, killing him. Here's a cute story about the plastic mesh in sod:

http://diariesofathriftwhore.wordpress.com/2013/03/27/its-a-sod-sod-story/

Be sure to ask if the sod you're buying has plastic mesh. Its very dangerous for tortoises.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Word of Caution: one has really no way what-so-ever of knowing what type of pesticides, herbicides, or fertilizers were applied to that sod prior to cutting and shipping to market. The sales folks at HD or Lowes etc won't know, so given it's a big "no no" to use treated grass/sod, how will you determine the quality? Id be careful.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Please be careful when buying sod. Some places grow it with plastic mesh in the root system. This plastic sometimes works its way up to the surface and it could possible catch a tortoise's leg or neck in the loops, killing him. Here's a cute story about the plastic mesh in sod:

http://diariesofathriftwhore.wordpress.com/2013/03/27/its-a-sod-sod-story/

Be sure to ask if the sod you're buying has plastic mesh. Its very dangerous for tortoises.
Depot has no mesh ......but good thought !

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Word of Caution: one has really no way what-so-ever of knowing what type of pesticides, herbicides, or fertilizers were applied to that sod prior to cutting and shipping to market. The sales folks at HD or Lowes etc won't know, so given it's a big "no no" to use treated grass/sod, how will you determine the quality? Id be careful.
Why I mentioned a Good leaching prior to install......and I agree on the "extra awareness" of the pesticides....but just some facts ...
In the Antarctic ice pack alone there are 2.4 million pounds of DDT and its metabolites from years
past.......this all melting into our waters now. Pesticides engulf the home and are easily tracked inside, readily
inhaled and absorbed through the skin. They do harm by attacking the
central nervous system and other essential organs. Symptoms of pesticide
poisoning are often deceptively simple, commonly mis-diagnosed as flu or
allergies. They include, but are not limited to, headaches, nausea, fever,
breathing difficulties, seizures, eye pains, vomiting, cramps, diarrhea,
sore nose, tongue, or throat; burning skin, rashes, coughing, muscle pain,
tissue swelling, blurred vision. Long-term consequences include liver and kidney
dysfunction, neurological damage and immune system disorders.
MCS is a result of the destruction of
the body's ability to tolerate and synthesize chemicals after exposure to
toxic substances. Victims develop extreme reactions now not only to lawn
pesticides but also hair sprays, perfumes, soaps, formaldehyde, and many
other common household products.
http://www.chem-tox.com/pesticides/pesticidereport.htm

I DO NOT condone using pesticides by any means .....but as an avid grower I know of what most chemical compound is used and why I suggest leaching the sod before placement.