Planting sod as an option for sulcata

Brockazoid

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NOGALES, ARIZONA
So I recently planted a tortoise grazing mix from Arizona tortoise compound and the grass was coming out really nice till my dogs decided it would be a good idea to munch on it too and basically rip it to shreds so I was wondering/considering buying sod as an option since it’s already patches of grown grass, if so, have anyone tried this method? And what type of grass did you choose as an option? Any input would be greatly appreciated

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
I believe sod is held together with a plastic net binder, at least contained in the soil part. It's possible that they could eat all the grass and expose the net. It might not be good since they could potentially ingest the net.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
You want to look for bermuda grass as it doesn't need netting it spreads out using rhyzomes so it holds together real well. The biggest issue is fertilizers! Most places do not raise sod for consumption so they are heavily fertilized and pesticided. Do you research first as there are places that do have safe sod just not all!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I believe sod is held together with a plastic net binder, at least contained in the soil part. It's possible that they could eat all the grass and expose the net. It might not be good since they could potentially ingest the net.
. . . or get a leg or even their neck caught in the netting.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Russian., block the dogs from getting to the newly planted grass as they should not be allowed in any area that the tort will be in. Torts and dogs should never be together.

Brockazoid

5 Year Member
NOGALES, ARIZONA
Ok
Russian., block the dogs from getting to the newly planted grass as they should not be allowed in any area that the tort will be in. Torts and dogs should never be together.
Ohh yeah no I keep them separated the tort has it’s outside time and the dogs have theirs.I wouldn’t put them together cause I know the dogs would try to eat her alive,sorry I forgot to mention that

zovick

10 Year Member!
You want to look for bermuda grass as it doesn't need netting it spreads out using rhyzomes so it holds together real well. The biggest issue is fertilizers! Most places do not raise sod for consumption so they are heavily fertilized and pesticided. Do you research first as there are places that do have safe sod just not all!
My experience in GA from 20 years ago is that all the sod here had plastic mesh in it, even the Bermuda grass.

When I moved here, I tried everything to get rid of the mesh which was in my grass, including digging up my entire yard and planting new sod but it just was not possible as I could not find any type of sod without mesh in it.

I got a machine called a slicer and went through my entire yard with it trying to cut the mesh up into small bits which I hoped would not be as detrimental to the tortoises. It still was a nightmare. I had female Radiated Tortoises get their rear legs tangled in the mesh when they tried to lay eggs, I had a couple of Spider Tortoises get their front legs so tightly tangled up that the circulation in the legs was cut off for a few hours or more. Even though I surgically removed the dang mesh, their legs later fell off due to irreversible necrosis of the tissues.

In short, stay away from sod. Plant seed and just be patient till it comes up and keep the dogs off it until it is well established. You'll be much better off in the long run.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I agree with Zovick here and have seen similar problem and more.

Sod is not intended for consumption so they load it up with all sorts of toxic chemicals to make it grow, last longer, and be bug free. That coupled with the netting is enough to make it a deal breaker for torts. Also, "they" do all sorts of wired stuff with grass seed intended for lawns. Don't use lawn seed from the hardware store. Buy grass seed intended for grazing pasture animals.

Snoopy’s mom

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Honolulu
Check your local farm supply or feed store, they have pasture seed that is made specifically for grazing animals without any chemicals that make the grass grow faster, or greener. Amazon also has some seeds that you might want to check out.

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
I was going to mention "American Meadows" I don't know specifically if their Grass seed, is "Pure" (I contacted them, and am waiting for a reply),but they sell a lot of organic seeds.

Sandy W

Scotts valley CA
So I recently planted a tortoise grazing mix from Arizona tortoise compound and the grass was coming out really nice till my dogs decided it would be a good idea to munch on it too and basically rip it to shreds so I was wondering/considering buying sod as an option since it’s already patches of grown grass, if so, have anyone tried this method? And what type of grass did you choose as an option? Any input would be greatly appreciated
I actually had sod in my tortoise enclosure. One day i discovered my tortoise had dug into it and had his head stuck in the plastic netting the sod was grown on. i had to clip the plastic to get him free. Sooooo if you use sod make sure to get the kind not grown in plastic ! It is much more expensive though. I couldn’t afford it, so i am back to reseedng every year.

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
I was going to mention "American Meadows" I don't know specifically if their Grass seed, is "Pure" (I contacted them, and am waiting for a reply),but they sell a lot of organic seeds.
Follow Up regarding Seed From American Meadows...

[Genevieve

Hello Marsha,
Thank you for contacting American Meadows.
We can happily say that ALL of our wildflower and grass seeds are neonicotinoid-free, and the vast majority of our perennials and bulbs are neonicotinoid-free. We have worked with all of our growers and suppliers to better understand if, how, and why neonicotinoids are used in the production of our plants and bulbs.

To confirm if the grass seed is neonicotinoid-free: go to the product page, scroll down to the Plant Information table, and look for the row labeled "Neonicotinoid-Free," or "Non-GMO" which will read Yes or No. Here is a link to our statement on neonicotinoids and GMOs.

Although we know a great deal about growing flowers, we defer to the animal experts in matters concerning animal safety and plant toxicity; the ASPCA and your local veterinarian are the most reliable resources for information regarding animal health. The ASPCA has a plant toxicity list for animals. Your veterinarian and local university extension service are also good resources for questions regarding problem plants found in your particular region.

Please do not hesitate to reach out again by return reply or phone (1-877-309-7333) if we can be more helpful. We are here Monday – Friday, 9 am – 7 pm, and Saturdays, 9 am – 5 pm EST.

Thank you for choosing American Meadows—where confidence grows!
Best wishes,
Gen]

Hope this Help's

SarahJoy

Augusta georgia
I started grass seed in flats then transplanted into yard. You have to keep your tort from eating it until its roots are set. It is a long process. I had to rotate areas where he could go. Nothing is easy with these torts.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Follow Up regarding Seed From American Meadows...

[Genevieve

Hello Marsha,
Thank you for contacting American Meadows.
We can happily say that ALL of our wildflower and grass seeds are neonicotinoid-free, and the vast majority of our perennials and bulbs are neonicotinoid-free. We have worked with all of our growers and suppliers to better understand if, how, and why neonicotinoids are used in the production of our plants and bulbs.

To confirm if the grass seed is neonicotinoid-free: go to the product page, scroll down to the Plant Information table, and look for the row labeled "Neonicotinoid-Free," or "Non-GMO" which will read Yes or No. Here is a link to our statement on neonicotinoids and GMOs.

Although we know a great deal about growing flowers, we defer to the animal experts in matters concerning animal safety and plant toxicity; the ASPCA and your local veterinarian are the most reliable resources for information regarding animal health. The ASPCA has a plant toxicity list for animals. Your veterinarian and local university extension service are also good resources for questions regarding problem plants found in your particular region.

Please do not hesitate to reach out again by return reply or phone (1-877-309-7333) if we can be more helpful. We are here Monday – Friday, 9 am – 7 pm, and Saturdays, 9 am – 5 pm EST.

Thank you for choosing American Meadows—where confidence grows!
Best wishes,
Gen]

Hope this Help's
That reply is enough to make me buy elsewhere.

Tortoisesupply.com sells a great grass seed mix, and I've had great results with this one too:

Snoopy’s mom

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Honolulu
I've had excellent results with Tortoisesupply.com as well!

howardb

CA
I have a large yard with sod (Marathon II) and my sulcatas (2 of them) graze on it for several hours a day. They have literally done this for years (in Southern California). If I put fresh hay next to them, they will ignore the hay and eat the grass. I supplement their diet once in a while with squash and other vegetables. They never get even close to the plastic that’s under the dirt. Howard