Mixing Species Help

REDfoots

5 Year Member
Hello I was wondering if I could get some more redfoots and maybe some leopard tortoise hatchling. Could I put them in the same habitat? Could I put the hatchlings (redfoots and leopards) in with my about 2 1/2 year old redfoots ?? I live in florida btw thank you :)

-Jacob

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Dubai/New York
No, the risks are too high because different species have different pathogens :) if you want to keep leopards, please house them separately.

REDfoots

5 Year Member
But I could put hatchling reds with the reds I jave now correct or are they going to bully the little ones

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
If you do, you will have to pay close attention. Bigger tortoises tend to just bulldoze right over the top of smaller ones. They don't go around, but rather through. The smaller ones might get hurt.

Just a note on mixing species. There are many who do and seem to get away with it. The trouble being you may not see ill effects until quite a time down the road, and its so long that you probably won't realize why your tortoise is sick. It's just not a risk I'm willing to take.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Bacterial diseases are common in reptiles, with most infections caused by opportunistic agents that infect immunosuppressed hosts and attack the immune system……Appropriate therapy in the absence of appropriate husbandry and nutrition will ultimately fail. Why not so much species related, but necessary husbandry between the two animals. And the many suggestions of not housing two different species together, especially with limited space –as most current day tortoise owners are faced with.
Most bacterial infections involve gram-negative bacteria, many of which are considered commensal. Anaerobic infections are not uncommon, but organisms can be difficult to culture. Gram-positive bacteria on smears, in conjunction with a negative culture, may indicate an anaerobic infection. Alternatively if a therapeutic choice was based on aerobic culture and sensitivity and response is poor, then the presence of an anaerobic agent should be considered.
Some of the most common …….are Septicemia,Mycobacteriosis, Cloacitis…..
More info here : http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/exotic_and_laboratory_animals/reptiles/bacterial_diseases_of_reptiles.html
:rolleyes: