Help grass SOD

Spazzi22

Location (City and/or State)
Idaho
hi I have a big question I was suggested to put a layer of grass in my baby sulcata tortoises enclosure so he could eat and roam and keep the humidity up I got A patch of sod that I was told That they used a herbicide safe for dogs last Spring. I just picked it up today about a year later. If I rinse It very well Would my tortoise still be able to eat it or should I go a different route? thank you!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Some sods are held together with plastic netting. This can be harmful to your tortoise.Washing the sod won't get rid of the stuff the grass has pullrd.onto the plant through the roots. don't use it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
hi I have a big question I was suggested to put a layer of grass in my baby sulcata tortoises enclosure so he could eat and roam and keep the humidity up I got A patch of sod that I was told That they used a herbicide safe for dogs last Spring. I just picked it up today about a year later. If I rinse It very well Would my tortoise still be able to eat it or should I go a different route? thank you!
Not safe. Don't ever use sod. Grow your own from seeds that are intended for pasture animal grazing. Don't buy lawn seeds at a hardware store.

If you try to grow grass in the enclosure, it will be trampled or eaten quickly. Instead grow it in pots or in outdoor plots and then cut and feed. You can also buy the already sprouted wheat grass at Petco or Whole Foods.

Check this out, and look for the sulcata care sheet at the bottom:

Spazzi22

Idaho
Some sods are held together with plastic netting. This can be harmful to your tortoise.Washing the sod won't get rid of the stuff the grass has pullrd.onto the plant through the roots. don't use it.
This type doesn't have netting it is just grass roots and soil whitch I was going to wash most the soil out and use organic top soil witch is safe for tortoise I'm just worried about the fact it was sprayed with herbicide last year but it has rained and been watered alot since

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I think you have been warned. Don't use it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
This type doesn't have netting it is just grass roots and soil whitch I was going to wash most the soil out and use organic top soil witch is safe for tortoise I'm just worried about the fact it was sprayed with herbicide last year but it has rained and been watered alot since
the herbicide may have been absorbed into the grass itself. don't use it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You also don't want bought-in-a-bag soil in your enclosure. No "top soil". That stuff is made with composted yard waste. Could be something toxic. The makers also add in all sorts of other weird stuff to get the right growing consistency. They don't intend for small animals to be living in it or on it.

In addition to the spray that you know about, sod is grown with all sorts of toxic chemicals. Their goal is to make pretty yard grass that is pest free. Their goal in growing and selling sod is not to provide food and substrate for tortoises or other animals.