Planting sod as an option for sulcata

AgataP

Location (City and/or State)
Seattle, WA
I have a dandelion jungle ?. Would never feed any of the sod, lawn magic growing grass to my tortoise. All we have is a wild growing grass, weeds. No chemicals. Feed stores offer many animal safe options. My feed store even gave me clover ? free since I needed only like 1000 seeds not 50lbs. They were all excited to see pictures of Herbie and gave us some other pasture seeds.
took about 6 months for them to grow. If you get grass that grows in few days it is for sure not safe to anyone.

howardb

CA
Russian., block the dogs from getting to the newly planted grass as they should not be allowed in any area that the tort will be in. Torts and dogs should never be together.
Torts and dogs should never be together? Don’t you think it depends on the size of the tort? My two sulcatas are large and roam my backyard freely, as does my labrador retriever. No problems whatsoever. Yes, I would be concerned with smaller tortoises, which is the reason my leopard torts are in an enclosure.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Torts and dogs should never be together? Don’t you think it depends on the size of the tort? My two sulcatas are large and roam my backyard freely, as does my labrador retriever. No problems whatsoever. Yes, I would be concerned with smaller tortoises, which is the reason my leopard torts are in an enclosure.
No it does not matter size of dog or tort. You will have no problem until there is a problem and the torts pay for your problem.
Read all the threads already posted for years on the same subject.
We have seen it all. No one thinks their dog will hurt their tort. Heard it over and over. Then it happens. Some have been with the tort for years, then that horrible day comes the tort gets chewed on and pays for the ignorance of the owner!

howardb

CA
No it does not matter size of dog or tort. You will have no problem until there is a problem and the torts pay for your problem.
Read all the threads already posted for years on the same subject.
We have seen it all. No one thinks their dog will hurt their tort. Heard it over and over. Then it happens. Some have been with the tort for years, then that horrible day comes the tort gets chewed on and pays for the ignorance of the owner!
Wellington, if your goal was to convey a message while being completely obnoxious, you accomplished both. Howard

Jan A

Boulder, CO
Wellington, if your goal was to convey a message while being completely obnoxious, you accomplished both. Howard
My brother-in-law has a scar across half his face because my hubby told him the dog was safe when he was 6 yrs old. He got 50+ stitches.

Have you ever seen a cat play with a real mouse? I never want to see it again, & I hate mice. My 4-1/2 lb cat has the ability with the flick of her foot to launch anything less than 1-1/2 lbs a good 25 ft.

Wellington wasn't being obnoxious. You might get lucky & your dog never attacks your tort. But if it does, who gets hurt? Not you & not the dog. There are lots of photos on this site of torts being mauled by dogs & cats.

Not trying to preach or be obnoxious. Just pointing out facts. My sister's family dog viciously bit my nephew. My brother-in-law had an immediate reaction which I didn't appreciate at the time. I was about 13. That was a long time before I met my B-I-L.

Any tort surviving any animal attack bears the SCARS forever. Why own a tort if you don't care?

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
From one tortoise to another
Here is from an adult sulcata that just missed the food the owner was holding.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Not obnoxious just to the point to another newbie that thinks they know it all and have those perfect animals that never follow their natural instincts!
I didn't even start on the two sulcatas being together.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
They never get even close to the plastic that’s under the dirt. Howard
They haven't yet. None of them ever got close to the plastic netting... until the day they did.

Also, the chemicals and other things added to sod do dissipate after several years. This is different than letting them eat freshly laid sod.