Please help - re: Dixie.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

turtletania

5 Year Member
Well it's official... the vet is a moron.

Quote from the VET: "Please understand that because she is old, it is hard for her to pass the blockage."

Me: "Um, she is only 6.....and she is a Sulcata which can live for 80 years or more."

So what can I do?

They broke up part of the blockage and removed quite a bit, but there is obviously more in there. They said they could try again "in about a month". She still strains like she is trying to go to the toilet - but nothing comes out. She is passing urine.

I can't get her to eat, but she is very active still - was digging today to bask in the substrate.

Is there something that WILL help her to pass/break up/dislodge the lump?

Please, I am now very worried.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Have you tried lube? Some mineral oil in a feeding tube might do the trick. What is she blocked up with? Have you been doing long soaks in a big tub?

turtletania

5 Year Member
Tom, I have soaked her in 1 hour lots. So 1 hour soak, then 1 hour out, 1 hour soak etc.

I don't know exactly what she is blocked with... what they did get out was a creamy colour and gritty in consistency to start with and then just a mucky green colour with a little creamy grit in it.

I just read your threads.... I feel I am ok on all the points. Temp- fine, hide - fine, water and bowl - fine..... food - fine, supplements - fine.

What do you mean by "mineral oil"? How would i get it into her?

turtletania

5 Year Member
It's now evening here... she has settled under the heat lamp and is sleeping.
She has peed and has discharged a small amount of the "grit".... My fingers are crossed that she will do better tomorrow.

I will log back on in about 8 hours.

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
I remember someone on TFO saying it's possible to squirt a little mineral oil directly in the cloaca with an eyedropper or oral syringe, or something similar, to help things pass at the back end.

turtletania

5 Year Member
I have johnson's baby oil... but it says the ingredients are mineral oil and fragrance..... is this ok?

Otherwise I will drive into town tomorrow and get some "mineral oil" (I hope i can find some)

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
Personally, I would be hesitant to use it if it has some unknown ingredient. BUT if your tort is completely miserable, and in pain and not eating, and her health is declining rapidly, than the reward might outweigh the risks. Especially if you can't find any other type if plain mineral oil.

mattgrizzlybear

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
hope she will be ok once you get some mineral oil and clear out that blockage

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
If you search the Forum for the keyword "Blockage" there are several discussions to be found. Reading some of these could help clarify what mineral oil to use and how it might be administered.

turtletania

5 Year Member
It is now morning... she had moved during the night and had dug another "hole" to sit in.

She had peed while under the heat lamp - can see where she did it.
Have just put her in the another warm bath and she is drinking A LOT.... more than I think I have ever seen her drink before.....

Is this normal? Is it her way of trying to clear the blockage?

Haven't tried the baby oil... and am a little nervous about it..... will try to get themineral oil when the shops open after 10....its now 7am

turtletania

5 Year Member
I have given her two baths today... now she is sleeping in her hide. Still not eating.

She is peeing.... is this a good sign?

M

Maggie Cummings

It kinda sounds to me like she is dehydrated. When Bob was like that I squirted mineral oil into cloaca. Not an easy task for one old lady. Takes 2 people.
But you are describing exactly how he acted and it was dehydration. After the fluids he hasn't had a problem.
Is it possible that she is egg bound? Do you think that you can squirt some mineral oil into her mouth?

turtletania

5 Year Member
Maggie.... could she be egg bound at 6 years old, without a partner?

I am trying to find the mineral oil... so far no luck, but going back out soon to look at some more stores.

I have been bathing her still in 1 hour lots... and she is drinking heaps and still peeing.

I am not giving up no matter what... she is part of my family!

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
RE: Please help - Dixie.....

You can find mineral oil in any walmart store. Some pharmacies carry it, but make sure that it's only mineral oil---no perfumes or other stuff. When you find it, squirt a little mineral oil directly in the cloaca with an eyedropper or baby medicine dispenser. If you can't get into her cloaca, mix a teaspoon of mineral oil in some watermelon or baby food (squash). You really should get her to a vet, though. Because you don't know what sort of blockage it is, you may need to get an x-rays. My baby tort eat a bunch of rocks (over 25 stones) and it all showed up on x-rays. Unfortunately, it also showed a rather large stone in his bladder. Either way, any blockage is not good and causes pain. Keep us posted.

Read more: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Please-help-re-Dixie#ixzz27GSE9XbZ

turtletania said:
Maggie.... could she be egg bound at 6 years old, without a partner?

I am trying to find the mineral oil... so far no luck, but going back out soon to look at some more stores.

I have been bathing her still in 1 hour lots... and she is drinking heaps and still peeing.

I am not giving up no matter what... she is part of my family!

turtletania

5 Year Member
Sibi..... thanks for the advice. She has been to the vet already (read first post in this thread.)
As for Walmart... I dont live in the states... I live in an isolated location in the centre of the island of Borneo in South East Asia..... the vet was a 500 km return trip and he did an "extraction" where he broke up as much as he could reach. He did get out quite a large amount of a solid/creamy/gritty substance.

So, I am now doing anything I can do, because the vet's most recent response was "bring her back in a month and we will see if there is anything else we can do". I asked if he could do xrays and was told "we dont have xray machine".... arrrggghhh. So frustrating.

Will let you all know what happens after I get the mineral oil.

turtletania

5 Year Member
Today's update: She still isn't eating, but is doing everything else normal - basking, going to the hide to sleep, trying to get out of the bath when she has had enough, peeing..... ....just NOT eating.

Could she just be "protesting" the surgery and therefore not eating?

I have searched everywhere I can for the mineral oil and all i keep finding is the baby oil (mineral oil with fragrance)..... is this safe to put in her cloaca... or can I use sunflower oil or something else. Unfortunately because of my location being so isolated some things are just not available.

Please advise and i will keep you posted on any changes.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Can you order mineral oil online? I realize that it may cost you more in shipping than the item itself, but if you can get it within a couple of days, it may be worth it. Otherwise, if you have nothing else, then I would use the baby oil. Other oils, like vegetable or sunflower oil is not good for torts because, as it was explained to me, these oils tend to be absorbed by the torts and can cause worse problems down the road. As a last resort, if all fails, I would use a low dose of vitamin E liquid and squirt that into her. I would only use that once though. After all, what would the vet do? He'd have to use some lubrication in order to get her to poop, right? Let me know how that goes, or if anyone else has a better idea, we want to hear from you.

Status
Not open for further replies.