Dixie at the vet (Beware: vet pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

turtletania

5 Year Member
Hey everyone.....well this new vet is brilliant. I was so relieved to see he was western (Irish) and has a great sense of humor... but the best part is he knew what I was bringing and how to treat her.

So he mixed up a concoction of fluids:
> lubricant jelly (saw the label)
> water
> disinfectant (medicine?)
> and clinical detergent

He said the blockage is a "stone" made up of cuttle bone and everything she has been eating over about 2 weeks. He said that it was probably just one small piece that got stuck and the rest just built up.

So he took the concoction in a large syringe and very slowly squirted up her cloaca. Bits started coming out straight away.

30c3srm.jpg

He kept slowly working at the "stone" softening, breaking, flushing- softening, breaking, flushing - softening, breaking, flushing - bits out.

wv9xdk.jpg

Then, this is what was coming out.

vcxa40.jpg

She is staying at the vets for a few days so the vet can repeat this several times until she starts eating again and has one full normal poo. I feel this is a good thing.

I just hope she will be ok, but I think now she has a good chance.... i will go back on Thursday after work to see her. (It's now Tuesday night here)

lovelyrosepetal

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oklahoma
That is great news!!! I am so glad you found a vet that knew what to do. Keep us posted and I am rooting for you and your Dixie!!:)

jpmcclure

5 Year Member
Modesto (Northern) California
Such great news!! I'm so happy for you both. The pics are great!! It's such a relief to find someone who knows what they're doing. Dixie's on her way to being healthy again. It's gonna be a long few days. I've been there but the outcome is gonna be great!! I just know it. YAY!!!

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
Even little Dixie looks relieved in that second pic. Good luck and it sounds like she's on the road to recovery!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Thank you so much for sharing this with us. We learn something new every day!!

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
I bet Dixie is feeling so much better now! Thanks for the update and pics.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Yes, thank you for posting the ingredients for the "tortoise enema" also. That's good to know. So glad she is better.

LuckysGirl007

5 Year Member
Surprise, AZ
WOW! So happy you and Dixie found a great vet. Poor thing would have never been able to pass that on her own. :(. Way to go Momma!

turtletania

5 Year Member
RE: Dixie at the vet (Bewavet pics)

DesertGrandma said:
Yes, thank you for posting the ingredients for the "tortoise enema" also. That's good to know. So glad she is better.

I will try to find out the exact ingredients as when he was mixing he was just giving me an overview.

I am actually really glad I watched what they did and after those pics i was holding her for the next hour cos the lady vet had another animal to care for.... so I got a real close up of the process.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Ya, so happy for the both of you. Would be really great if you could get the exact dosage of each ingredient and the exact ingredient. It would help a lot for those that can do their own and those of us that may not have as good of a vet.

turtletania

5 Year Member
Thanks everyone for the incredible support.

Just heard from the VET.... she has had another flushing this morning and another nice warm soak at the vets..

I am feeling more and more positive, but still scared.

Will make the long drive again tomorrow.... will keep posting any updates.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
So they are thinking cuttlebone started this? Huh. Just glad she seems to be headed towards recovery.

TheTortoiseWhisperer

5 Year Member
Mandeville, Louisiana
RE: Dixie at the vet (Bewavet pics)

turtletania said:
Thanks everyone for the incredible support.

Just heard from the VET.... she has had another flushing this morning and another nice warm soak at the vets..

I am feeling more and more positive, but still scared.

Will make the long drive again tomorrow.... will keep posting any updates.

I know most of us are very dedicated to our torts and turts but maybe because I'm relatively new to this amazing world I'm very touched by your dedication to Dixie….I hope she has a very quick and comfortable recovery!!!!! :)

PS: Where is that wonderful Vetenarian you've found? for those of us who may be able to look him up if we're ever in need

turtletania

5 Year Member
On the Island of Borneo in South East Asia.

I live in a very small part of the island and to get anywhere is 100+ km. This vet is located 145km from my house.

BUT I would do ANYTHING for my babies - daughters included!

Status
Not open for further replies.