Please Help!! My lil One is Not Eating

CnR

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Antonio, TX
I got a hatchling week and half ago and i havent seen him eat yet. I have tried spring mix, dandeliona, mauzi diet, and other herbs mixed with it and i have yet to seem him eat. He as lost 2 grams since last week. I place him by the food and just walks away from it. Can someone give me som advice. The lil one is only lil over a month old. The basking spot is at 95 F and at night it gets down to 73 F. I keep the humidity at 70-75% during the day and at night its gets to around 90% because i cover the enclosure.

CnR

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
He/she does poo at least every other day. I soak him for 15-20 min every day.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If you see poop, then the tortoise is eating.

Maybe it would help if you cut the food up into very small pieces.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Babies are prey and they don't like to stay out in the open. Try putting the food right at the mouth of the hiding place so he doesn't have to be exposed to eat.

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
Also, don't let him get down to 73 degrees if you're keeping him at a high humidity. High humidity is good(curbs pyrimiding) but low temp WITH high humidity can cause respiratory infections.

CnR

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
No i am not. Should i get a light for night to keep some heat in ?

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
There is a thing called a CHE. it's a heat emmitter that screws in just like a bulb. Doesn't put off any light. Those curly bulbs are notorious for blinding little torts. That's why I asked. This is what I did to get mine to eat when I first got them. Dice up his food real fine. Soak a Mazuri chunk or 2 until they're soft(but still hold their shape). Put it all on a paper plate. I soak my babies in my kitchen sink so all i have to do is let the water out and place the paper plate in there(Sinks are washable). Place them on it, in front of the food, and walk away. Peek in once every couple minutes to see if he's eating. He may be shy. I have a different kind of tort but it may work for you.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
Nice looking enclosure. The temperature dropping to 73 at night could be part of the problem as mentioned earlier; I would add an additional fixture with a CHE (ceramic heat emitter) to use at night. It can be set up to come on anytime the temperature is below 80 degrees.

For feeding, try a pile of dandelion blooms, the bright yellow color and the flavor are favorites of my Russian tortoises.

Also, as mentioned, provide a hide closer to the feeding slate.

If still not eating, try the baby food soak to allow the tort to absorb some nutrients.

Good luck.

CnR

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
Thanks. Guess i have not heard of the baby food soak. Any particular baby food to use ? Do i just let it soak in the food not mixed with water or anything ?

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
And no night time lights for the tortoise.
It won't be able to sleep properly.

CnR

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
Thansk everyone for the help. I bought the che light and some carrot baby food. I let him soak in it for 15 min and i think he loved it.

CnR

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
Ill try cutting up the food in smaller pieces tomorrow and leave the light on over night see how ot goes.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
You may also need to buy a thermostat to run it through so it goes on and off to keep the temp even.