Eating

Status
Not open for further replies.

rfranklin

5 Year Member
Griffen is now 8 months old. My issue is he barely eats anything. He will take a few nibbles of food and thats about it. I feed him Spring Mix, Radichio and Dandelion Greens. About twice a week I will feed him one red stick. And he usually eats the whole thing. His enclosure is 4x3. And the temps are 90 on one end, 70 in the middle and about 60 on the cool end. At night the temps drop down to about 60-65. Humidity is usually between 70-80%. I use an MVB bulb. And I soak him for about 20 minutes a day. He moves about the cage like normal. And also will poop everyother day but its not a lot. For the last two months he has stayed at 90 grams. Any suggestions on what I am doing wrong?

Beeliz

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Montreal,Quebec
Maybe he's just at a stand still? sounds like you're doing everything right, Mine is also 8 months,,I notice some days he nibbles and is picky and other days he eats like a champ. If he is active and still pooping,I wouldn't worry too much :) plus he's getting the UVB from the MB, hmm.. :/

rfranklin

5 Year Member
Beeliz said:
Maybe he's just at a stand still? sounds like you're doing everything right, Mine is also 8 months,,I notice some days he nibbles and is picky and other days he eats like a champ. If he is active and still pooping,I wouldn't worry too much :) plus he's getting the UVB from the MB, hmm.. :/

I live in Alberta. And I have noticed that since Winter started he hasnt acted the same. He used to eat like a champ in the summer. Maybe seasons affect Tortoises like they do us.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I would warm him up a bit....what I mean is that you have rather high humidity levels to allow the temps to ever drop into 60s....if you are going to run constantly high humidity levels....I would also make sure that your temps don't drop below 78-80 for healthy young tort and not below 80 for a tort showing signs of abnormal behavior.....

Also, if he eats the red stick entirely, perhaps offer him 2 or 3 and see if he eats them all---if so, I would then suspect your tort has you in training and really loves the red sticks vs the greens...:D

Beeliz

5 Year Member
Montreal,Quebec
Ya,,your humidity does seem high..mine is at my house humidity which is between 40-50..is that your household humidity/? or are you adding to it in the enclosure? They don't need added humidity,especially if you're bathing him every day. The temps should be lower at night still,,mine go down to 65 at night..

rfranklin

5 Year Member
Temps at night drop to about 60-65. The substrate I am using is eco-earth. Which I think is basically top soil. Every couple of days I add some water to it and mix it around. And I spray the enclosure with water nightly. So maybe that is why my humidity is high. About the redsticks. I put 2 of them in with his greens. But he usually will only eat one. I am beginning to think he is a very picky eater. When I first got him I made a huge mistake by feeding him Kale. Which I was told thats what to feed him. Now I [/align]give a little bit of Kale as a treat once a month. And he gobbles it up.

I am going to try and get my humidity down and the temps up. I wonder if I mix the greens in with the red sticks. That will trick him into eating it. If the greens are the same consistency as the red sticks.

Thanks for everyones help. I really appreciate it.

Beeliz

5 Year Member
Montreal,Quebec
Ya,I wouldn't think you need to spray the enclosure,,humidity is a bit high...as for kale,mine LOVES it too :)

rfranklin

5 Year Member
Beeliz said:
Ya,I wouldn't think you need to spray the enclosure,,humidity is a bit high...as for kale,mine LOVES it too :)

What substrate are you using? Even though I am in Alberta we are kind of in the same climate.

Status
Not open for further replies.