Is this weird behaviour ?

PenguinMan

Location (City and/or State)
Todmorden
So this morning the misses got up and made sure the torts were OK and popped them under the basking lamp to warm up ready for their bath and when I came to them maybe just under an hour later PeanutButter was in the water dish all curled up in its shell...

So I went to pick it up for its bath and PB was really cold and the lil tort barely moved and kept it's eyes shut until I popped it in some warm water to get him warmed up a lil...

Is this normal ? Or is PB just having a lazy morning or is it something I should be worried about... it's doing alright now and pottering about normally it just scared me a lil...

As the temp over the water area was like 14°c and hadn't warmed up yet

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
It's normal for cold tortoises not to move, but it isn't necessarily a good thing to allow them to get that cold. What species is this (and age of tortoise) and how low are your nighttime lows?

PenguinMan

Todmorden
It's normal for cold tortoises not to move, but it isn't necessarily a good thing to allow them to get that cold. What species is this and how low are your nighttime lows?

Hermanns and about 3 months and last night it got down to... maybe 16-17°c where they were sleeping

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
62 degrees is far too cold for night time. do you not have a night time heat source? to answer your question it is not unusual for them 2 sleep in a water bowl but you can't e
let them get that cold

PenguinMan

Todmorden
62 degrees is far too cold for night time. do you not have a night time heat source? to answer your question it is not unusual for them 2 sleep in a water bowl but you can't e
let them get that cold

Yer I use I CHE that is on 24/7 and aim for 20°c at night it's just the winter here in UK n apparently my house is poorly insulated...

I've got a second basking lamp on the way and have adapted where they are going to be sleeping to hopefully retain heat better