PLEASE HELP!! (eye problem)

Lennythetort

Location (City and/or State)
Arcadia
I see he's on dry orchid bark. Orchid bark is the best substrate but it needs to be damp.

Are you using indoor UV? What type of bulb? At what distance?

Is the enclosure an open top?

What size tortoise?

Does he go outside much?

I see kale in the pic, but what else do you feed him?

Eye problems are most commonly from:
1. Wrong UV bulb.
2. Dry dusty substrate, or wrong substrate, like sand mixtures or soil.
3. Malnutrition from feeding a small variety of grocery store greens with no amendments.
4. Cool temperatures.

Let's see if we can confirm or deny these four things?
He has been just fine no problems at all for the 3 years we’ve had em it seems like when I was giving him a bath the water got dirty and he likes to splash so I’m guessing the dirty water must’ve gotten in his eye and from rubbing it he’s irritating it. This happened last night and I have an appointment with his vet tomorrow at 3pm I just hope it’s not too late to get it cured... he still active eats walks around just that eye is bugging him... I just wanna know that he’s going to be okay.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
He has been just fine no problems at all for the 3 years we’ve had em it seems like when I was giving him a bath the water got dirty and he likes to splash so I’m guessing the dirty water must’ve gotten in his eye and from rubbing it he’s irritating it. This happened last night and I have an appointment with his vet tomorrow at 3pm I just hope it’s not too late to get it cured... he still active eats walks around just that eye is bugging him... I just wanna know that he’s going to be okay.
Torts can take a long time to manifest issues from something wrong. He might be alive after 3 years, but that doesn't mean everything has been perfect.

Dirty bath water is not a problem. These torts live underground with dirt in their eyes constantly.

I'm trying to help, but I need more info from you. That's why I asked all those questions.

Lennythetort

Arcadia
I see he's on dry orchid bark. Orchid bark is the best substrate but it needs to be damp.

Are you using indoor UV? What type of bulb? At what distance?

Is the enclosure an open top?

What size tortoise?

Does he go outside much?

I see kale in the pic, but what else do you feed him?

Eye problems are most commonly from:
1. Wrong UV bulb.
2. Dry dusty substrate, or wrong substrate, like sand mixtures or soil.
3. Malnutrition from feeding a small variety of grocery store greens with no amendments.
4. Cool temperatures.

Let's see if we can confirm or deny these four things?
Yea indoor UV he’s a picture of his set up at home it’s open on top he does have a bigger water dish now this is about 5ft by 3ft
He’s the size of about 2 hands put together very heavy
He does not go out much
He eats kale carrots lettuce zucchini

Attachments

• 0A36ED1A-BB97-4C18-9CAB-69DAE7B5792E.jpeg
    0A36ED1A-BB97-4C18-9CAB-69DAE7B5792E.jpeg
    551.4 KB · Views: 30

TaylorTortoise

Abington
Yea indoor UV he’s a picture of his set up at home it’s open on top he does have a bigger water dish now this is about 5ft by 3ft
He does not go out much
Hello,
What type of wood did you use to make your enclosure?
What else did you use to keep it together? Just wood and screws?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
He does not go out much
Nobody wants to hear this, but you've got lots of mistakes going on there. I'm saying this so you know what to fix, not to be mean in any way. Its obvious you want to take good care of your tortoise, and I'd like to help you do that.

First and foremost, its time for this tortoise to go live outside with a heated night box. That enclosure is way too small. Way way too small. Its too small for a tortoise half that size.

Open tops are not good for sulcatas. You can't maintain the correct growing conditions that way. Especially not in our dry climate. This can be remedied if you move him outside.

Those cfl type UV light bulbs sometimes burn their eyes. Those should never be used. Turn it off ASAP.

Those ramped water bowls are not suitable for tortoises. They are literally death traps. You said he's got a bigger one now, but does he have the right type now?

The diet you are feeding him is not good. Over time this could lead to malnutrition. Kale is only okay to feed once in a while. Carrots should never be fed. Lettuce and zucchini lack fiber, calcium and nutrition. Not good foods. Please read this: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

Read this to better understand their needs:

Here is an example of an outdoor night house. We can help give more info on how to build it, but I'd get started ASAP. Its not good for them to be in small enclosures.

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
I agree. The CFL UV bulb should be removed immediately. I don't know why I didn't think to ask about that.

@Lennythetort It's clear you care about your little guy. Try not to be upset about issues with the enclosure, but focus on what we can help you with to get him in a better situation. You've got a beautiful tortoise and I'm excited to see him thrive, and I know that following Tom's guidance will get you there.

Please ask any questions you have and we'll get you the best information possible.

Lennythetort

Arcadia
I agree. The CFL UV bulb should be removed immediately. I don't know why I didn't think to ask about that.

@Lennythetort It's clear you care about your little guy. Try not to be upset about issues with the enclosure, but focus on what we can help you with to get him in a better situation. You've got a beautiful tortoise and I'm excited to see him thrive, and I know that following Tom's guidance will get you there.

Please ask any questions you have and we'll get you the best information possible.
Okay so take away the UV completely and only keep the heating bulb. Got it thank you guys

Lennythetort

Arcadia
Nobody wants to hear this, but you've got lots of mistakes going on there. I'm saying this so you know what to fix, not to be mean in any way. Its obvious you want to take good care of your tortoise, and I'd like to help you do that.

First and foremost, its time for this tortoise to go live outside with a heated night box. That enclosure is way too small. Way way too small. Its too small for a tortoise half that size.

Open tops are not good for sulcatas. You can't maintain the correct growing conditions that way. Especially not in our dry climate. This can be remedied if you move him outside.

Those cfl type UV light bulbs sometimes burn their eyes. Those should never be used. Turn it off ASAP.

Those ramped water bowls are not suitable for tortoises. They are literally death traps. You said he's got a bigger one now, but does he have the right type now?

The diet you are feeding him is not good. Over time this could lead to malnutrition. Kale is only okay to feed once in a while. Carrots should never be fed. Lettuce and zucchini lack fiber, calcium and nutrition. Not good foods. Please read this: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

Read this to better understand their needs:

Here is an example of an outdoor night house. We can help give more info on how to build it, but I'd get started ASAP. Its not good for them to be in small enclosures.
I appreciate the feedback where do I purchase this food? If I’m not able to grow it because unfortunately I am in an apartment complex.

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
@Lennythetort can you clarify where you are located?

Optunia (prickly pear cactus) pads are great food for sulcatas and can often be found at produce stores and spanish food stores. If you can get him to start eating hay (orchard grass hay) it will be a great way to keep him fed affordably with a good diet.

If you're currently in an apartment complex I imagine there isn't a suitable outdoor area where you can build an enclosure. Do you have any additional room indoors for a larger enclosure? Unfortunately sulcatas area really not ideal for an apartment.

Lennythetort

Arcadia
@Lennythetort can you clarify where you are located?

Optunia (prickly pear cactus) pads are great food for sulcatas and can often be found at produce stores and spanish food stores. If you can get him to start eating hay (orchard grass hay) it will be a great way to keep him fed affordably with a good diet.

If you're currently in an apartment complex I imagine there isn't a suitable outdoor area where you can build an enclosure. Do you have any additional room indoors for a larger enclosure? Unfortunately sulcatas area really not ideal for an apartment.
I live in Los Angeles Arcadia area to be exact okay great thank you for that I will check it out I do take him from time to time to my aunts which she has a yard for him to walk everywhere eat grass the neighbor has cactus I rip off he eats all that very well I just know he should have a bigger place and that’s why I excepted to move before he got too big for where we live but coronavirus didn’t help...

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Just because he has been fine for 3 years, doesn't mean squat. Just think, he has done ok for 3 years under adverse conditions, what in the heck is he gonna do if kept under the correct conditions?. Please, I am asking you flat out, at least think about it...

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
I live in Los Angeles Arcadia area to be exact okay great thank you for that I will check it out I do take him from time to time to my aunts which she has a yard for him to walk everywhere eat grass the neighbor has cactus I rip off he eats all that very well I just know he should have a bigger place and that’s why I excepted to move before he got too big for where we live but coronavirus didn’t help...

I totally understand and don't fault you at all. There are a lot of members from southern california who might have suggestions for you.

Is there anything you can do to expand the indoor enclosure? It still wouldn't bide much time but it would be better than nothing.

Is there a place at your aunt's where you could set up an outdoor enclosure and night box for him until you get out of the apartment? Just braingstorming.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Oh and Terramycin makes an eye ointment in a tiny tube, if you can find it. The nictitating membrane in his eye was irritated for some reason, that ointment would have helped and might have saved you a Vet bill. just sayin

Lennythetort

Arcadia
This is what I am using for his eye

Attachments

• A151A868-C0B6-49AE-9D4C-61CD274DDA2E.jpeg
    A151A868-C0B6-49AE-9D4C-61CD274DDA2E.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 9

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I grow Opunta in pots in Oregon. It rains for 7 months here, so I put those cactus in the tort shed, under a UVB light. I'd be willing to send you some rooted pieces if you want. Just say yea or nay, I'll start cutting and rooting now...?

Lennythetort

Arcadia
I totally understand and don't fault you at all. There are a lot of members from southern california who might have suggestions for you.

Is there anything you can do to expand the indoor enclosure? It still wouldn't bide much time but it would be better than nothing.

Is there a place at your aunt's where you could set up an outdoor enclosure and night box for him until you get out of the apartment? Just braingstorming.
I will see because that isnt a bad idea at all but my girlfriend wants to find a new home for him because she thinks we’re not going to treat it and give him everything he needs but I am the one clearly attached but do want what’s best for him...

Lennythetort

Arcadia
I grow Opunta in pots in Oregon. It rains for 7 months here, so I put those cactus in the tort shed, under a UVB light. I'd be willing to send you some rooted pieces if you want. Just say yea or nay, I'll start cutting and rooting now...?
Yea that would be great if your able to do that I really appreciate it ??

Lennythetort

Arcadia
K, I will and when the roots show, I'll ask for your address. Don't worry, I'm mostly trustworthy lol
1030 W Huntington Dr Apt 19 Arcadia California 91007
Can you see if the drops that I bought will be fine for him? I posted a picture of it like 5 minutes ago. Thanks