Please help!!! (constipated)

ian568

5 Year Member
Hi ... I am new here! And I am not sure how this works.

But I have had my sulcata for almost 3 years. Recently he was sick and after taking him to the vet, he build up this calcium ball inside causing him to be constipated. We worked hard together and we were able to clear it in a few days.

Ever since his stool was cleared, he couldn't stop eating to the point he ate a piece of paper shaped as a banana (~_~) (my friend made it for decorations)... anyway, that piece of paper was there for a while now and he never seemed to be interested in it. Suddenly one day... I came home and he ate most of it. My concern is that he hasn't "really" pooped for 3 days. He did pass a little stool, but it's nothing compared to the amount he ate. He is still eagerly eating ... I am just really worried that there is a blockage again.

Does anyone know a way that I can help him pass stool ?? I have been soaking him for at least an hour a day.

Thank you very much in advance!

Regards,

Ian

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
RE: Please help!!!

Hi Ian:

First of all let's address the original problem.

Stones are formed either because the tortoise wasn't getting enough water or he was being fed foods high in oxalates (while not getting enough water).

Here's a link to a site that shows pictures of surgery to remove a large stone from a desert tortoise:

http://www.lbah.com/word/tortoise-bladder-stones/

Please read the care sheets for sulcatas that appear at the top of the Sulcata section under "important threads." Hydration (humid environment) is very important for your tortoise.

Now to your current problem: If you soak the tortoise daily, it helps him pass feces. Put the tortoise into a tub of warm water that comes up to the middle of the tortoise's sides and leave him in there for about a half hour. Do this daily. Regardless of if he passes the paper. Daily as a general rule, not because you think he's constipated. Daily!

To pass feces that may be backed up, you can feed the tortoise things like aloe vera, pumpkin, fruit (not on a regular basis).

ian568

5 Year Member

Thanks...

I have read it before, and was told to soak him twice a week. But ever since his stone, I had been soaking him every day... problem is that he is still not passing feces. I was wondering if there is anything I can put or have him eat to soften his feces??

The vet that I went to before was about to give him something to help him go... but he didn't end up needing it.

Also... is it normal for him to suddenly have such an increase of appetite ?

Thanks again

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA

When they're blocked there's no room for additional food, so they lose their appetite. When they become un-blocked, it frees up the space for new food, and they get a pretty good appetite back.

You can feed the tortoise runny foods to loosen up his bowels. Foods like aloe vera, canned pumpkin, sedum, opuntia, fruit, but make sure the tortoise is well-hydrated.

ian568

5 Year Member
Thank you very much for your info Yvonne !