please double check for me

Jenjen79

Location (City and/or State)
UK
Hi, everyone.
I picked up this beautiful boy this morning and I'm 99.99999% sure its a Horsefield, however you guys are far more experienced than myself and so want to double check whilst hes in quarantine before his vet check and introduction to my other shelled friends. He's apparently around 3 years old, was a school pet until the previous owners took him in. we have named him Shelldon, however hes so green we may have to change to The Hulk ;):tort:
thanks in advance
Jen and the gang x

Attachments

• 20230723_122202.jpg
    20230723_122202.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 7
  • 20230723_122207.jpg
    20230723_122207.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 4
  • 20230723_122050.jpg
    20230723_122050.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 6

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Hi , I am not sure why he is so green as the usual shell is a creamy yellow with back pigment he is pyramidded so please read attached care sheet to ensure you provide the correct heat, light, diet, calcium, water and enclosure.

I could not see the beak but if overhanging the visit a reptile shop and get claws and beak trimmed. Provide food on a large flat terracotta plant pot base as this helps maintain beak as they bite against it. Water must be in a plant base dish that they can walk in and sit in.

Last edited:

Jenjen79

UK
Hi , I am not sure why he is so green as the usual shell is a creamy yellow with back pigment he is pyramidded so please read attached care sheet to ensure you provide the correct heat, light, diet, calcium, water and enclosure.

I could not see the beak but if overhanging the visit a reptile shop and get claws and beak trimmed. Provide food on a large flat terracotta plant pot base as this helps maintain beak as they bite against it. Water must be in a plant base dish that they can walk in and sit in.
Thanks for this info :)
his lower jaw/ beak actually goes up over his top beak, very bizarre, not something I've witnessed before but we have a vets appointment tomorrow so they will sort this hopefully, he is very green isn't he, I was thinking perhaps just my eye sight./ or camera but nope, he's quite green!
I have his temps/humidity perfectly set, so pleased about as that is always a worry, especially as weather is rubbish here at the mo (UK) so my own house temps are up and down, also been checking with temp gun regularly throughout the day. He was given to us with the komodo salad pellets (which he has not eaten here that I've seen) and was told he loves brocoli and cucumber, so I have introduced him fresh dandelion and sticky weed yesterday and to cuttlefish bone and Aloe vera today (home grown) that was a big hit, all sprinkled with calci dust and hes loving a bathe, quite a sleepy boy but only first full day here today. He did love a good wander on my trayed grass mats that we make, all new experiences so trying to introduce a little at a time in case of upsets so I can pinpoint what issues may be if they arise.

Jenjen79

UK
something they also sent with me, but i binned it, was some sort of wood type substrate, should have got the name, but it looked like the wood pellets we use for our cat litter box.....Im a fool for not getting the name at least, but hoping the Komodo eco terrain I use will be better for him.