plants in my sulcata habitat

Bryanjb7

Location (City and/or State)
western new york
I've been a sulcata owner since august, (they were about 5-6 weeks old when i puchased them) and I was curious as to what kind of cool plants you have growing in your habitats. I just received a new tank for Christmas and its much bigger than the last and there's much more room. I was extremely curious about a bonzai tree. I doubt they'll get any nutrients from the tree but I also don't want it to make them sick. If you have any other suggestions suggestions that would be cool too. I'm already about to start growing a bit of grass seed I just need to find some organic seed. Any suggestions on what I should grow in there with them?

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Northern California, bay area
welcome to the forum! how many hatchlings did you get? i always like to put succulents in my torts cages they seem to do well and the torts love snaking on them. where are you located, can you make an outside enclosure? the grass in the outdoor enclosures always seem to do a lot better then the indoor ones.

Bryanjb7

western new york
welcome to the forum! how many hatchlings did you get? i always like to put succulents in my torts cages they seem to do well and the torts love snaking on them. where are you located, can you make an outside enclosure? the grass in the outdoor enclosures always seem to do a lot better then the indoor ones.

Bryanjb7

western new york
I'm located in western NY I have 2 sulcatas and nonindont have an outdoor enclosed yet. Do you suggest any other plants I should grow?

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
i always like to put aloe vera in my torts enclosure, its one of there favorite foods!
http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/plants_19.asp this website shows you nontoxic plants that you can feed them, and it has pictures:p.
by the way 2 sulcatas should not be housed together because one will always become dominant and harass the lesser one.

Bryanjb7

western new york
Okay cool I'll check it out...they were in the same litter. There was probably 20 stored in a 2 1/2' x 2 1/2' container. I don't have any problems with them fighting. Maybe when they get bigger? I'll definetly have to check them out

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Okay cool I'll check it out...they were in the same litter. There was probably 20 stored in a 2 1/2' x 2 1/2' container. I don't have any problems with them fighting. Maybe when they get bigger? I'll definetly have to check them out
even when they are very small they will "fight". one will get larger and dominate the smaller one, this will be very stressful for the smaller tortoises.

Bryanjb7

western new york
My tortoises also sleep together. So I'm not sure aggression is a problem. I was very worried at first and still do watch them close. The one walk up the side of the tank when I'm there to say hi lol. But I am going to check out the aloe vera too. Is it okay to grow in the encloser?

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
My tortoises also sleep together. So I'm not sure aggression is a problem. I was very worried at first and still do watch them close. The one walk up the side of the tank when I'm there to say hi lol. But I am going to check out the aloe vera too. Is it okay to grow in the encloser?
yes you can grow the aloe is the enclosure. trust me they wont do well together, please read the thread i posted:)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi Bryan. Welcome to the forum. In most cases sulcatas will eat or trample whatever plants you put in their reach. Potted plants will be safer, but make sure you use non-toxic plants and plants that were not grown with pesticides and fungicides.

Here is a feeding thread. Toward the end are links for some good seeds to order.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

Please read these threads for some helpful tips:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.78361/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/pairs.34837/