HOW to grow plants in indoor enclosure?

KrissyLeigh

Today is my birthday!
Location (City and/or State)
south Texas
So I have seen tons of posts about WHAT plants you can grow in an indoor enclosure, but not actually HOW to grow them. So from someone with no experience growing plants -

1) How do the plants get enough light in an indoor closed chamber enclosure? I have redfoots, so they don't like bright light, and all the grow bulbs I've seen seem unsuitable for tortoises.

2) What about the substrate \ fertilizer situation? I use coconut coir mixed with cypress mulch, will that sustain plants?

Thanks y'all!

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
1) Honestly, they don't. If you want to grow anything other than low light tolerant house plants (spider plants, pothos, orchids, ferns, bromeliads), you will need grow lights. I plant weed (dandelion, plantain, etc) seeds periodically, and they sprout and grow a few inches, but then end up spindly like most plants that want full sun but are grown in the shade. Still, the sprouts add food to graze on and I like the look of it. You just have to be prepared for nothing to last too long.

2) In bio active substrate, I am so far able to sustain the above plants, but that may be because my bark and coir have been broken down to have more accessible resources for the plants to take up. I have not needed fertilizer in the past 1.5-2years of having plants in the enclosure. I suspect the occasional tortoise pee adds some extra nutrients too.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
1) Honestly, they don't. If you want to grow anything other than low light tolerant house plants (spider plants, pothos, orchids, ferns, bromeliads), you will need grow lights. I plant weed (dandelion, plantain, etc) seeds periodically, and they sprout and grow a few inches, but then end up spindly like most plants that want full sun but are grown in the shade. Still, the sprouts add food to graze on and I like the look of it. You just have to be prepared for nothing to last too long.

2) In bio active substrate, I am so far able to sustain the above plants, but that may be because my bark and coir have been broken down to have more accessible resources for the plants to take up. I have not needed fertilizer in the past 1.5-2years of having plants in the enclosure. I suspect the occasional tortoise pee adds some extra nutrients too.
Totally agree with Sarah. I also have biosubstrate, hydroballs and layer activated charcoal and reptibark on the bottom for drainage/airiation, the mid level is coir with pockets of soil where the plants were. I was digging some up from my garden and plugging them in with the soil around root ball. Only low light plants will do ok. Don't plant anything directly under the heat lamp bcs It's just going to fry. I never tried the grow lights but that maybe an option for keepers of longterm indoor situation. Mine are semi outdoors probably the last year bfr becoming full time outdoors, at which point I am considering keeping that 40 gal breeder with it's established biosubstrate and maybe getting another little critter to raise and keep in there. If your closed chamber is big/spacious enough you could do so much with it, like orchids, bromeliads, all kinds of tropical ferns, begonias... sky is a limit! My 40 gal is just not big enough and the distance between substrate and the lamps/heat source is way too close for any of the plants that I like to thrive with the wattage i have to use in winter time here. 100W CHE will sooner or later burn the plants on that side of the tank. I have finally stopped trying different plants. I have had to keep the tank at 80F at substrate level when room temps are anywhere from 66-74F. Anyways, I would LOVE someday to create a little mini ecosystem in this tank with some critters living in it and pretty plants to enjoy. I'd be very interested in your progress and please post lots of pictures

KrissyLeigh

Today is my birthday!
south Texas
. Anyways, I would LOVE someday to create a little mini ecosystem in this tank with some critters living in it and pretty plants to enjoy. I'd be very interested in your progress and please post lots of pictures

Thanks y'all! Right now they are in a 75 gal and 40 gal breeder while I build their new home, so I guess I'll wait to attempt to plant for when they are in the new spaces...

Pearly, have you ever considered crested geckos or dart frogs? They are fantastic in a self sustaining ecosystem. Just add water and food, no cleaning necessary if you do it right!