Summer preparations-Tips VERY welcome!

spud's_mum

Location (City and/or State)
United Kingdom
Dont let Spud in or somehow separate him from the seedings. Or in an eye blink he eats all of them. Torts are seeding fans!!!
I'm sure he will eat it immediately but I don't think it will be warm enough for him to go out for a while. I have seed trays also growing so hopefully I can keep up with him :p

DPtortiose

I'm sure he will eat it immediately but I don't think it will be warm enough for him to go out for a while.

Depends, how warm is it currently in your area?

I'd suggest a little cold frame inside the outdoor enclosure, It'll give your animal a chance to warm up faster and stay outside and active on colder days. It was only 14 degrees during the day here, but inside the coldframe it was a toasty 26 degrees. It also helps to keep the temperature up at night, which allows the animals to follow a more natural schedule.

I'd also suggest a clump of grass in the enclosure. It generally provides a nice place to explore and gives the animal a humid place to dig down. A nice flat dark rock would also be helpful. It'll soak up the heat from the sun and will allow the animal to warm up faster. It will most likely also will be a good hiding spot. Animal generally prefer a tight space with back cover to dig down into.

spud's_mum

United Kingdom
Depends, how warm is it currently in your area?

I'd suggest a little cold frame inside the outdoor enclosure, It'll give your animal a chance to warm up faster and stay outside and active on colder days. It was only 14 degrees during the day here, but inside the coldframe it was a toasty 26 degrees. It also helps to keep the temperature up at night, which allows the animals to follow a more natural schedule.

I'd also suggest a clump of grass in the enclosure. It generally provides a nice place to explore and gives the animal a humid place to dig down. A nice flat dark rock would also be helpful. It'll soak up the heat from the sun and will allow the animal to warm up faster. It will most likely also will be a good hiding spot. Animal generally prefer a tight space with back cover to dig down into.
Thanks for the tips, I will make a little cold frame. It is only 11 degrees at the moment :( no sunshine, just grey skies and rain.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I would recommend a patch of blue slate chips in there for Spud to bask on.

I have been zapping the patch in our garden with the temperature gun. The other day the air temperature was 12C with weak sun and the the slate 29C! They make a huge difference.

Rue

Canada
So you are also in the UK! Now why did I think you were in Michigan or Wisconsin?

I need an atlas...;)