Plant pro's help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpmcclure

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Modesto (Northern) California
I've attached 2 pics of my backyard problems. One is some kind of ivy on our sound wall. The other a city tree that hangs into our yard. The leaves are starting to fall and I've been cleaning them up but I'm wondering if they're toxic to Thor? Should I continue cleaning them or are they ok for him to eat? Thanks.

image-1689253424.png

Attachments

• image-3793970802.png
    image-3793970802.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 47

jpmcclure

5 Year Member
image-2964512702.png

Here's a view. I keep the ivy trimmed to the top of the wall and the tree hangs into the yard like that. Great shade. It's only an issue now because the leaves are starting to fall.

Obviously, I haven't swept it up yet today but Thor isn't outside yet.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That one picture almost looks like some sort of grape vine.

As to the tree, I used to have one of those. Little trees sprang up all over my property from the berries. The berries were very hard and used to get stuck in the horse's hooves, so I cut the tree down. They seem to grow wild around here. I know the name, however, I'm having a senior moment and can't pull it up out of the archives. But I hated that tree. As to whether its edible, I'm sorry, but without the name I can't research that part of the equation.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
emysemys said:
That one picture almost looks like some sort of grape vine.

As to the tree, I used to have one of those. Little trees sprang up all over my property from the berries. The berries were very hard and used to get stuck in the horse's hooves, so I cut the tree down. They seem to grow wild around here. I know the name, however, I'm having a senior moment and can't pull it up out of the archives. But I hated that tree. As to whether its edible, I'm sorry, but without the name I can't research that part of the equation.

I think that the one with the berries is staghorn sumac.

jpmcclure

5 Year Member
Trust me, I hate the dingle berries too but it's a city tree that hangs over from the street behind our sound wall so I'm kinda stuck with it. So the, what I thought was ivy, looks like grape vine? It's also City. I've always kept it trimmed up (at least as high that Thor can't reach) but I'm stuck with that too. It bears no fruit, I do know that. Been here 15+ yrs & haven't seen a thing grow from it. It's getting hard to keep leaves off the ground and I found Thor eating one yesterday. I about freaked out so I figured I'd better ask someone.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I knew if I waited long enough it would come to me. Its a chinaberry tree. I don't think its edible.

Status
Not open for further replies.