Rosella Hibiscus

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
As you may or may not know, the city is widening the street I live on. This means I've lost all my trees and shrubs across the frontage. These plants were my sound barrier between the noisy 55+mph traffic and my house. They're putting up a retaining wall where they have cut off my elevated yard. So I've been trying to figure out what I could plant across the front to dampen the traffic sounds and what wouldn't damage the new wall. One thing that came up in my research is the Rosella Hibiscus. Seems it's an edible, fast growing shrub. I'm thinking I'll plant them close together with an occasional tree in between for more height. Now I need to figure out a tree whose roots won't damage the wall.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
As you may or may not know, the city is widening the street I live on. This means I've lost all my trees and shrubs across the frontage. These plants were my sound barrier between the noisy 55+mph traffic and my house. They're putting up a retaining wall where they have cut off my elevated yard. So I've been trying to figure out what I could plant across the front to dampen the traffic sounds and what wouldn't damage the new wall. One thing that came up in my research is the Rosella Hibiscus. Seems it's an edible, fast growing shrub. I'm thinking I'll plant them close together with an occasional tree in between for more height. Now I need to figure out a tree whose roots won't damage the wall.
They are very handsome too!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The is my African hibiscus that I am always talking about. This is the one that Hibiscus Tea is made from. It is wonderful, and it has no problem with dry 100+ degree summers as long as you keep it watered, but it will all die in fall when night temps dip into the 30s. You have to re-plant it every year in late spring when night temps are staying warmer.

Tortoises love it. More than even Mazuri. Its one of the few foods I've seen that almost any tortoise will just walk up to it and eat it the first time they see it.

I have tons of seeds if you want some.