Pink plastron

Karen(pebbles)

Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Bristol Uk
Can anybody tell me if this is ok? plaston looks pink, my pebbles doesnt seem to wanna bask the last few weeks, only comes out to eat, pooping and weeing ok, soak her around 4 times per week, all temps and humidity are ok, but she just stays in her hide not wanting to come out, is this normal? im a little worried

Attachments

• B02625D3-E116-42CF-8B8B-4FE8839A30B5.jpeg
    B02625D3-E116-42CF-8B8B-4FE8839A30B5.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 9

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Can anybody tell me if this is ok? plaston looks pink, my pebbles doesnt seem to wanna bask the last few weeks, only comes out to eat, pooping and weeing ok, soak her around 4 times per week, all temps and humidity are ok, but she just stays in her hide not wanting to come out, is this normal? im a little worried
The only reason for them to bask is if they are too cool. If your tortoise is eating and pooping, that is an indicator that the GI tract is functioning as it should, which would mean that the tortoise is staying warm enough.

What is the ambient temperature in the enclosure during the heat of the day, and also over night?

Karen(pebbles)

Platinum Tortoise Club
Bristol Uk
During the day the ambient temp is 23c and during the night it’s 18c, I did consider that if the tort is warm enough she wouldn’t bask, but it just seems so different from last year, im probably just over worrying, thankyou for replying @Tom it means a lot

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
During the day the ambient temp is 23c and during the night it’s 18c, I did consider that if the tort is warm enough she wouldn’t bask, but it just seems so different from last year, im probably just over worrying, thankyou for replying @Tom it means a lot
That is pretty cool. Try bumping temps up a bit and see what happens.

Karen(pebbles)

Platinum Tortoise Club
Bristol Uk
That is pretty cool. Try bumping temps up a bit and see what happens.
Tom each morning at 5 I turn on the Che until the cool end reaches 24/25c and leave it till I go to work at 7, the basking bulb is 100w and 36c, I’m not sure how I can get the temps higher, in your wisdom what do you suggest I do? Should I set the che to stay on until the weather warms here? This is something that’s just started in February, prior to that everything was ok.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
I have had this and felt it was shell growth..... it did go away. If your happy with set up I say monitor if it gets redder then go to vet to check not internal issue.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tom each morning at 5 I turn on the Che until the cool end reaches 24/25c and leave it till I go to work at 7, the basking bulb is 100w and 36c, I’m not sure how I can get the temps higher, in your wisdom what do you suggest I do? Should I set the che to stay on until the weather warms here? This is something that’s just started in February, prior to that everything was ok.
Set your CHE on a thermostat to maintain the warmer temp all day instead of just the morning. You can plug your thermostat into an appliance timer, so that the CHE remains off at night.

Alternatively, they make a $30 thermostat that allows you to set your CHE at one temp for night, and a warmer temp for daytime. I use one on my prehensile tailed skink enclosure. I set it for 72 (22C) at night and 82 (28C) during the day. This option would allow you to keep things a little warmer during the night, but fully warmed up during the day. Mine is made by Inkbird.

Karen(pebbles)

Platinum Tortoise Club
Bristol Uk
Thanks @Tom , I’ve set the che to the thermostat, I’ll look in to the alternative but for now I’ll see how this works, your advice is much appreciated.

Karen(pebbles)

Platinum Tortoise Club
Bristol Uk
@Tom after following your advice my tort is now seemingly back to normal, more active, basking when needed and eating like there's no end to the food :).
but i'm still concerned about the plastron, it's a little pink and more so after being soaked, in your opinion is there any need to worry?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
@Tom after following your advice my tort is now seemingly back to normal, more active, basking when needed and eating like there's no end to the food :).
but i'm still concerned about the plastron, it's a little pink and more so after being soaked, in your opinion is there any need to worry?
If appetite and behavior are normal, I would not worry. I would check temps all around and veryify everything is as it should be.

You don't use a heat mat do you?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Are you sure the water isn't too hot?
That what you soak him in is clean, no let over soap or some other substance residue still in the bowl?

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
My Eastern Hermann‘s plastron gets pink like that from time to time too and just like you’re seeing, it is especially after a soak. I’ve always been told that it’s a sign of good circulation and during a nice warm soak, the blood is pumping even more so to light up those areas. From what you’ve said in this thread, I don’t think you have any need to worry (I know it’s easier said than done though). How old is your tortoise? My guy turns 4 in a few days and it has been sporadically through the years that the pink becomes more visible. I’m not sure if it has to do with growth spurts or possibly the change in seasons.

Karen(pebbles)

Platinum Tortoise Club
Bristol Uk
My Eastern Hermann‘s plastron gets pink like that from time to time too and just like you’re seeing, it is especially after a soak. I’ve always been told that it’s a sign of good circulation and during a nice warm soak, the blood is pumping even more so to light up those areas. From what you’ve said in this thread, I don’t think you have any need to worry (I know it’s easier said than done though). How old is your tortoise? My guy turns 4 in a few days and it has been sporadically through the years that the pink becomes more visible. I’m not sure if it has to do with growth spurts or possibly the change in seasons.
Thanks Krista, that makes me feel a bit better, I’ve heard so many stories of sepsis and began to worry, my Pebbles has just turned 3, she’s had a little bit of pink on the plastron but only recently did I notice more and like you said, it’s more so after a soak.

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
Thanks Krista, that makes me feel a bit better, I’ve heard so many stories of sepsis and began to worry, my Pebbles has just turned 3, she’s had a little bit of pink on the plastron but only recently did I notice more and like you said, it’s more so after a soak.
Now knowing that Pebbles is just 3 years old, I feel even more confident that it’s nothing to worry about. Looks like a healthy girl with great circulation in her growing shell! ❤️