Status
Not open for further replies.

bigred

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
KimandKarasi said:
Tom said:
She dosen't need basking light outside as long as temps are warm and sunny each day. Does she have a heated night house? I like to keep little ones warm at night. I use a thermostat and set the night box heaters at 80. This is especially important in a humid area like Houston. When they're bigger, they can tolerate lower temps with a lower probability of problems, but there is just no reason to not be cautious with a little one.

What did your vet diagnose this tortoise with? What "ailment" did she tell you you are treating for? And Nolvasan in bird water? What?

She just said it was an infection, there was no real name for it.... :( and sometimes I wonder if it's actually too hot for her during the day..

She needs alot of plants and shade on one end of the enclosure and a spray with water will do good when hot

KimandKarasi

5 Year Member
Houston, Texas
bigred said:
She needs alot of plants and shade on one end of the enclosure and a spray with water will do good when hot

I put in a pretty big hibiscus where theres really no shade, but the thing about the spot is it's between my house and our fence, so the sun hits the grass fully from about 8am-2:30pm, then it's completely shade for the rest of the day, but as we know around that time here in Texas can get around the 95-100 mark, so I'm going to throw in some shrubbery if I can. Any advice on which plants would be good for that amount of sunlight?
And Tom, I weighed her this morning and she's gained 25 grams in two weeks!

View attachment 22671

There she is hiding in the tall grass :p

View attachment 22669

And that's the entire thing, it's actually 2:30pm right now here so I guess there is still sun on the ground until maybe 4pm?

KimandKarasi

5 Year Member
Houston, Texas
Did The pictures show up? It doesn't look like they did to me..
I had to take a new one because the last ones didn't save, she's hanging out in her shallow water :p she knows she's cool, lol..

Attachments

• image-3941613790.png
    image-3941613790.png
    1 MB · Views: 37

reticguy76

5 Year Member
put the nolvasan in bird bath water, and its an infection, but no real name for it ?? !!

thats killin me ! that vet has no idea what the hell theyre talking about. run from that vet and find a legitimate one for your tort. your tort looks good and healthy and happy.

KimandKarasi

5 Year Member
Houston, Texas
reticguy76 said:
put the nolvasan in bird bath water, and its an infection, but no real name for it ?? !!

thats killin me ! that vet has no idea what the hell theyre talking about. run from that vet and find a legitimate one for your tort. your tort looks good and healthy and happy.

Thank you very much :) I almost want to ask for my money back, but I know that never usually goes over well... Would it hurt to try though? :-/ I'm pretty torn up about it too..

reticguy76

5 Year Member
We get people tryin to get their money back from my clinic all the time. Doesnt usually work though, but no harm in trying. Worse case, you have made them aware that they lack reptile/amphibian medicine knowledge and will hopefully refer to someone more qualified when approached with reptiles and amphibians.
Unless there is a direct problem, sickness or injury to your animal as a result of improper care or mal-practice by the veterinary or any of their staff, you probably wont receive any compensation for lack of knowledge. However, should your tort develp any issues that can be directly related to the vets treatment and recommendations for home treatment (ie, soaking all those times in nolvasan), then you should formally complain to your states veterinary board committee

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
So sorry for your ordeal. I used to work for a vet a few years ago. Money usually isn't given back. However, I would try. Even if it is to give you some satisfaction and to let them know, that you know, they know nothing! You have all the advice on this forum to back you up. Even though they won't take it as expert advice, some vets are really stuck on themselves, sounds like this one is, it could sure give you a point to prove to them. Tell them you won't be back and you will let everyone you know that they ripped you off and they are unkownledgeable about many animals. Returning every three days is insane. There isn't too many illnesses, if any, that needs to be seen every three days, in any animal. What ever you decide to do. I would not let them off the hook. I would say something to them, before just walking away. They need to be told. I also would call your states vet boards and report them. Good luck. Now for your enclosure, you do need a lot more shade. Some Hostas do fairly well in a lot of sun and gives good shade. Also day lilies. Even a plastic light coloed planter box turned upside down and a entry hole cut in and a few vent holes at the top will work. I would also sink a plant saucer in the shade so he can soak himself and maybe some plain black dirt that you could make a mud hole for him to cool off. Good luck

KimandKarasi

5 Year Member
Houston, Texas
wellington said:
So sorry for your ordeal. I used to work for a vet a few years ago. Money usually isn't given back. However, I would try. Even if it is to give you some satisfaction and to let them know, that you know, they know nothing! You have all the advice on this forum to back you up. Even though they won't take it as expert advice, some vets are really stuck on themselves, sounds like this one is, it could sure give you a point to prove to them. Tell them you won't be back and you will let everyone you know that they ripped you off and they are unkownledgeable about many animals. Returning every three days is insane. There isn't too many illnesses, if any, that needs to be seen every three days, in any animal. What ever you decide to do. I would not let them off the hook. I would say something to them, before just walking away. They need to be told. I also would call your states vet boards and report them. Good luck. Now for your enclosure, you do need a lot more shade. Some Hostas do fairly well in a lot of sun and gives good shade. Also day lilies. Even a plastic light coloed planter box turned upside down and a entry hole cut in and a few vent holes at the top will work. I would also sink a plant saucer in the shade so he can soak himself and maybe some plain black dirt that you could make a mud hole for him to cool off. Good luck

The reason they gave me for having to come back so often was because "tortoises don't absorb medicines like every other animal. They metabolize it differently, so she needs to come back every few days to make sure the antibiotics take. If the bottom of her shell is still pink we'll just give her another quick shot and see how it goes from there."...... Yeah...

reticguy76

5 Year Member
haha. that reason is pretty funny. while reptiles have slower metabolisms, most medications dont get metabolized differently, just slower. Generally, medications are absorbed one of a couple ways: through the liver (which reptiles have) or through the digestive tract (intestines primarily) which reptiles have. So, most meds do not get absorbed/metabolized differently, just slower
In summary, let them know that they do not really know reptile medcine enough (or however you want to phrase it), and your tort is fine. Plenty of sunshine and fresh air, good food source, and clean, fresh water for drinking and soaking, and your tort will continue to prosper

KimandKarasi

5 Year Member
Houston, Texas
since the last visit two and a half weeks ago, she has gained 50 grams! :D so I think she's doing JUUUST fine! lol! Thank you guys for your support, now that I know this I'll be the one educating HER on the subject of tortoises... ;) (of course, I wish I had known this sooner where I didnt have to lose money but hey, better late than never! :p)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
KimandKarasi said:
Itort said:
The tort looks perfectly normal to me. For three grand the vet should be able to give you a specific infection after sending blood work to university herp vet. I assume at this price bloodwork was done.

.... I feel more like an idiot the more I think about it and read these comments.. Maybe I have sucker written all over me? Each visit was 180 dollars because she is an exotic (100), she would get a shot (50), and she would give me that little bottle of 3 doses of nolvasan (30) to tide me over until the next visit.. And since the pinkness never went away she kept asking me to come back.. They did a stool sample on our first visit and said there was no parasites, but that was the only thing beside the afore mentioned that they would do, but I went for so long it added up quick... That upsets me enough to really nit want to go back, but they were such sweet people.. But for them to charge me like that and not even know what they claim to be professionals in?? I'm too upset for words..
There is no need to feel like an idiot, you did what you thought was best for your tortoise. Sadly the vet was either ignorant or money hungry, I hope it is the first. As for getting money back, you can ask but I doubt anything would come form it, all the vet has to basically say is he/she thought they were doing what was best for the tortoise. I am not a vet ( though I do play on eon TV) but I think a simple blood test would have been able to pick up any infection, not bashing you, just hopefully future knowledge you can use.

Status
Not open for further replies.