Pink plastron

Elisebooo

I have gotten really worried as today I saw Lorenzo's plastron and it has a pink hue to it, he seems quite normal. Although when I bathed him today he did poo a lot more than normal. I have read that it can be a number of different things and I want a few opinions on what it could be before I take him to the vets

uploadfromtaptalk1421337602792.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1421337641921.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Juleslew

Location (City and/or State)
Ipswich, United Kingdom
I've had the same issue with my 3 year old hermann Alfie. Last year I noticed a week after waking Alfie up from hibernation that there was a reddish blotch on his plastron. I took him to a reptile vet who thought it was septicaemia. He gave Alfie a course of antibiotic injections and after 2 weeks Alfie was back to his usual self.
However this year I had to bring him out of hibernation early when I saw the pink tinge all over his plastron. So back he went to the vet, who thought it could be either a parasitic infestation (worms) or the beginning of septicaemia again. I do worm Alfie twice a year with wormer plus so was relieved when Alfie's poo samples came back clear.
The vet has let Alfie fight this himself this time. The pink tinge is getting less each day, he's eating well and is very lively. I don't know what I'm doing wrong for Alfie to get this problem 2 years on the trot, and the vet was at a loss too because I've done very thing by the book.
I've been advised to miss hibernating him altogether next year so that Alfie can build up his strength and immune system. It will keep my stress levels down too the way I fret over him! So roll on 2019... fingers crossed for a safe hibernation! I hope Lorenzo made a full recovery