My torts plastron is turning pinkish

Lewis516

Location (City and/or State)
Bristol
Hi there, about a month ago i thought i saw some slight pink on my torts plastron i have been checking often but i came home from work today to find the pink has spread over the entire base its still very light and mostly focused down the seem from top to bottom of the plastron. I've seen posts about torts getting septicaemia but i dont know how mine would've got it. Is there anything else this could be?

Lewis516

Bristol
Heres some pictures i took before and after a bath, if anything i can sort of see the redish pink more after the bath

Attachments

• 20211011_171907.jpg
    20211011_171907.jpg
    614.7 KB · Views: 40
  • 20211011_180953.jpg
    20211011_180953.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 39

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi there, about a month ago i thought i saw some slight pink on my torts plastron i have been checking often but i came home from work today to find the pink has spread over the entire base its still very light and mostly focused down the seem from top to bottom of the plastron. I've seen posts about torts getting septicaemia but i dont know how mine would've got it. Is there anything else this could be?
It is pretty normal to see pinkish or reddish hues in that area during times of growth. Has your tortoise been eating well lately? If the appetite is good, activity level normal, and temperatures verified, your tortoise is probably just growing.

Lewis516

Bristol
It is pretty normal to see pinkish or reddish hues in that area during times of growth. Has your tortoise been eating well lately? If the appetite is good, activity level normal, and temperatures verified, your tortoise is probably just growing.
The temps are all good, appetite and hydration is good but I've noticed my tort's pretty lazy compared to how he used to be but when i sit down next to his enclosure he perks up and runs around for as long as im there but once i leave again give it 15 minutes and he either burries himself or hides away. Are there any reasons for this or just simply wants the company?

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
When you sit next to his enclosure, what does he do when he runs around? Does he just ignore you and walk, or does he look at you and challenge you? Maybe butt the enclosure?

He may like your company, but more likely he's trying to drive you away from his territory. When he's successful (you get up and leave), he relaxes and goes back to what he was doing earlier, which is probably nothing.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The temps are all good, appetite and hydration is good but I've noticed my tort's pretty lazy compared to how he used to be but when i sit down next to his enclosure he perks up and runs around for as long as im there but once i leave again give it 15 minutes and he either burries himself or hides away. Are there any reasons for this or just simply wants the company?
In addition to what Karen sad, it is fall and all the temperate species know its time to brumate.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lewis516

Bristol
When you sit next to his enclosure, what does he do when he runs around? Does he just ignore you and walk, or does he look at you and challenge you? Maybe butt the enclosure?

He may like your company, but more likely he's trying to drive you away from his territory. When he's successful (you get up and leave), he relaxes and goes back to what he was doing earlier, which is probably nothing.
If im moving any rocks or his log around he'll come over and smell my hand maybe let me give him a scratch. He doesnt butt at me or the enclosure he always seems quite relaxed. He is still growing so the pink could be that ive just never seen it before is it anything major to be concerned about?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
My leopard tort doesn't hibernate, but when the UK temps drop and the days get shorter he becomes less active.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Is he a Russian/Horsfield tortoise? I'm not sure only seeing his plastron.

Tom mentioned about verified temps...have you actually measured the temps in his enclosure? Basking spot, cool side, warm side, and overnight low? It would be helpful if you would do that. Get a digital thermometer with a probe, and also a digital temp gun. The temp gun makes it so easy to quickly check temps.

Are you aware of any time recently that he got really cold? Out in the rain maybe?

The purpose for these questions is to help determine if he could have an RI. If he was sick, he could develop septicemia, but I think most likely the pink is increased blood flow to areas that are actively growing. That's why the pink seems to follow growth lines.

If he becomes really lethargic, stops eating, and the pink spreads throughout the plastron, then take him to a reptile vet ASAP.

Lewis516

Bristol
Is he a Russian/Horsfield tortoise? I'm not sure only seeing his plastron.

Tom mentioned about verified temps...have you actually measured the temps in his enclosure? Basking spot, cool side, warm side, and overnight low? It would be helpful if you would do that. Get a digital thermometer with a probe, and also a digital temp gun. The temp gun makes it so easy to quickly check temps.

Are you aware of any time recently that he got really cold? Out in the rain maybe?

The purpose for these questions is to help determine if he could have an RI. If he was sick, he could develop septicemia, but I think most likely the pink is increased blood flow to areas that are actively growing. That's why the pink seems to follow growth lines.

If he becomes really lethargic, stops eating, and the pink spreads throughout the plastron, then take him to a reptile vet ASAP.
Hes a hermanns tort, he'll eat all he wants sometimes the over night temp can drop to 15°c but it hasn't hit that low so far this year. He was ill i think maybe 4 months ago now although he has not showed any illness since then. He has been lazy for the last year compared to how he was the year before, he still moves just as fast but doesnt move too often only to eat and drink then bask or cool off.

Lewis516

Bristol
Hes a hermanns tort, he'll eat all he wants sometimes the over night temp can drop to 15°c but it hasn't hit that low so far this year. He was ill i think maybe 4 months ago now although he has not showed any illness since then. He has been lazy for the last year compared to how he was the year before, he still moves just as fast but doesnt move too often only to eat and drink then bask or cool off.
I have just got home and checked on him to find that a lot of the pink has almost completely faded over night. This is all very confusing ?

Attachments

• 20211012_124750.jpg
    20211012_124750.jpg
    830.5 KB · Views: 10

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
This is all very confusing ?
Welcome to the world of tort keeping! ?

It certainly seems that he is not sick, as I've never heard of septicemia just vanishing. I believe it's blood flow to grow.

Make sure you are maintaining the proper temps for him, and just keep a close eye on him as you are already doing. If anything pops up that concerns you, we're right here "across the pond".

Lewis516

Bristol
Welcome to the world of tort keeping! ?

It certainly seems that he is not sick, as I've never heard of septicemia just vanishing. I believe it's blood flow to grow.

Make sure you are maintaining the proper temps for him, and just keep a close eye on him as you are already doing. If anything pops up that concerns you, we're right here "across the pond".
Thanks for the help