people with one tort, let me hear ya!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sweetpea

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
East Bay, CA
I have one for about 4 months now. I am looking around for another, tho! I keep thinking she is lonely...maybe not, tho. She's 6 inches and if I get another one, I would have to get a bigger enclosure for sure. Still searching... ;)

sara

5 Year Member
Wyoming
sadly I am tortless at the moment:(. had to re home my Bert cause it just didnt seem right to make him move to Alaska and suffer from the cold and lack of sunshine. BUT!!! When i get back down to the lower 48, I will make up for it! Already warned the husband! :)

tinybit92

5 Year Member
WA
I have just one little Russian named Jude. I would love to get him a buddy, but it's very unlikely to happen. I'm in college and still living with my parents. Dad says with our dog, our cat, and Jude we have plenty of pets. He would kick my butt if I tried to get another. :p I do have dreams about once a month though about having a second tort, which usually results in baby torts. Overactive imagination is my middle name. For now I'm just trying to think of a way to get him a bigger space, I don't think he gets enough exercise.

abra

5 Year Member
Mass
I have my one Russian, Rambo, I wish I could get another but I'm fifteen and my mom doesn't like giving into my animal obsession. Eventually when I "grow up" I hope to have many :D

Snapper

5 Year Member
British Columbia
I have one greek tortoise, and I am very happy with her. I often think of other tortoises that I would LOVE to own, but it is just not realistic with the amount of space I have. Maybe one day, but quite honestly, I like giving my attention to my one little greek, who is quite spoiled! I also have other animals who need quality care, and get it. If I was to add another pet, I might spend all my time just maintaining them, and not enjoying them.

HarleyK

5 Year Member
I have a 9 month old redfoot going solo right now. I REALLY want to acquire a cherry head or maybe just a northern redfoot from PETSMART. I am really happy just one tortoise however. I can't imagine myself having two at the moment due to time restraints.

I spend about an hour a day with maintenance. Hopefully when the hatchling gets older it can soak and take care of itself rather than me doing everything for him. When that time comes I will purchase a subadult redfoot.

jrholls

5 Year Member
Maine
When I was growing up we always had dogs. I always considered myself to be a dog person. Ever since I bought a Russian Tort (Lily) for my wife, I've found I can no longer say that. I still love dogs, but when I see a pet store I'm always thinking about our tortoise first, and if they may have any new cool reptile supplies, and next I want to know if they sell tortoises. I'm going to wait until we've had Lily a year or so, so I can make sure I'm taking good care of her, but I definately see having more russians in the future. Dogs not so much anymore :)

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
@Jared- YES. I'm exactly the same. it used to be going to look at toys, treats, etc. for the cat and dog but now it's all about the tortoises.

First I check out the russians and then see if they have any others, but they usually don't. However, the Petco near my apartment has a red foot I went back to see at least 5 times but I noticed one of its eyes is very swollen and it's breathing is kind of labored, it keeps its head inside mostly and brings its front legs in kind of unusually when it breathes (clear nostrils though, not sure if it could be RI)

kimby37

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
We just got Mylo ( our Hermanns) in December and the kids have already said we should get company for him. I wish we could but we have no room. Was very close to buying a bearded dragon the other day, but have to wait to get Mylo in a tort table to have the glass for the dragon. I tell you i cant wait for that :) It is very addicting as is being on forums, reading everyone elses stories and concerns and about their pets.

fhintz

5 Year Member
Fort Myers, FL
I'm a one tort guy myself. I do get caught up in how neat some of the other species than my own are (Redfoot), but I definitely need to stick with just one.

Becki

5 Year Member
Albuquerque
Same here....I find all the other tortoises fascinating but I think I'll just stick with George. :)

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
RV is an only child and no matter how much I yearn for other pretty babies, will remain our sole tort.

sigh.

teri

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Baby Trevor is an only tortoise and we like it that way...since once you get 2 you tend to end up with a gaggle of tortoises (I know the official term is "creep" but I love using gaggle hehe)...we have decided to hold off until we might someday have the yard & climate & money to get an adult Sulcata. It is tough to see the babies that I know I could give a better home to than many others, but its just not the right time. One Russian does pretty well indoors full time (not 100% ideal I know...but with enough space they can thrive pretty well...and I think if he ever lived outdoors it would make us sad not to see him as much). I don't have to fight the urge too much because I'm a very logical person and we've already made up our mind as a family. When it comes to the front of my mind, I think about how happy we do make our tortoise and how spoiled he is as an only tortoise. :) It just wouldn't be the same with more than one...wouldn't want Sir Trevor to get jealous!

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
I don't even have a tort yet/anymore, and I'm still craving "another"... :p I spend my spare hours day-dreaming about a nice Russian breeding colony... And a Marginated or two... And maybe a Leopard tort... There's probably something wrong when you're planning your second, third, fourth, and fifth additions before you even get your first. lol!

I have the same issue with other reptiles... I'm constantly day-dreaming about the different snakes and lizards I want to own, even though I know I can't care for THAT many. Heck, any more UVB-dependents than my 3 beardies and a tort or two is most definitely over my limit right now! Thank goodness snakes are so independent and simple to take care of, so I actually can get a few more of my favorites before I hit the "limit."

Focusing on enclosures is a fantastic idea! I do something similar when I start thinking about things like monitor lizards, and how neat it would be to have a dwarf monitor and maybe a Sav... Or when I get thinking about how I so miss having an adult boa constrictor (aka lap snake, ha) in the house... I'll start thinking about what I need to do for my current collection. The issue of the beardies' enclosures, which need to be upgraded and fine-tuned, and the issue of getting them checked for parasites, plus planning out the gopher snake's adult enclosure. It also helps to focus on teaching my brother to be a reptile slave--I mean, proper reptile husbandry--so he's prepared for the leopard gecko he plans to get next year. On the tortoise front, I'll start thinking about how I need more tort experience before I start breeding them, and how the new place is going to be cramped as it is without a big tort table in the living room. All of this most definitely helps me to take a step back and stop thinking about the reptiles I want to get.

Oh, and it also helps if you just don't look at Craigslist (or, in my case, KSL). I haven't mastered that one yet, though. ;) Which makes it especially tough when something interesting or otherwise on my wishlist pops up. Waaant! *whine, whine, whine*

Esopha

5 Year Member
I only have Bean, with no plans to get another. Maybe I would get more than one, if I had one of the smaller breeds, but I'm probably going to be living in an apartment for a long time and I don't want her to feel crowded. She's also such a pig I'm fairly certain she'd bully anyone who tried to move in on her food. So!

wildponey21

5 Year Member
Well I got a 3 year old redfoot in sept. In oct. i got a 1 ayer old redfoot. I love them and i want to get a leo trot but my mom and grandmother will not let me. I have the sapce and time. I go to school at home. I have the time and the money to take care of them. The fact is i have to wait till my grandmother pases away to get one. She wold kill me if i got one now.

2 min sch
2 redfoots

Xilonen

5 Year Member
Bellingham, WA
Jessicap said:
I have found I need to stay AWAY from craigslist... way to addicting.

Bold for my own emphasis. :D

We had one turtle while I was growing up: a Japanese Reeve's. He's 24 now. Since moving away from home I've become addicted to craigslist, and have an insatiable urge to 'rescue' (fine line between rescue and hording!) every turtle that gets posted. I've gotten 7 that way. One, sadly, died unexpectedly earlier this year, but the other 6 are going strong. One golden greek, two russians, two young sulcatas and my little boxie. All but the box turtle live with my mom in Portland (yet another justification!) until I move down there as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.