Possibly dumb question - Testudo

Status
Not open for further replies.

rwfoss

5 Year Member
With my sulcata and Russian girls, I have been told not to keep them together - which I don't. Is the rule of keeping tortoises together based on species or can two tortoises of the same genus but different species be housed together? Russian and Hermann's for instance?

Just a question that came up as I'm looking over a book on caring for Testudo torts.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I wouldn't mix species and I mix individuals of the SAME species very carefully. Do some people do it and get away with it. Yes. People do lots of things they shouldn't and get away with it. No matter who does it or says its okay, just remember that it IS a risk.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
Some people mix all species, some mix species that come from the same area, such as leopards and sulc's coming from africa, I just don't mix period it does not really hurt me in any way to seperate them, and I would rather be a little overprotective than lose one to something that is 100% preventable.

rwfoss

5 Year Member
That's what I figured I'd get for an answer - and it makes sense. Just curious about it after looking at this book. However, I figured showing two species in the same enclosure could be a photo opportunity. I always see Redfoots and Russians in the same glass tank at Petco, but I sure as heck understand that isn't very smart!

Status
Not open for further replies.