Pen ?

NickA

Location (City and/or State)
Mid Atlantic
So this is the progression of growth in my eastern box turtle pen i will trim it down low enough to put a wire top on it for the winter but do most of you do a spring cleaning every year before summer or should I just leave the old growth as added cover. Right now the only areas I trim are around the pond, feeding area and a few gravel travel paths. The picture were it looks empty was taken in early April and the overgrown pik was taken today. The middle one was a month or so ago. There is also an area where nothing grows that’s all loose dirt and leaf litter for hunting and hibernation.

Attachments

• AAE0C977-91DA-474D-B6A0-0653DD92A411.jpeg
    AAE0C977-91DA-474D-B6A0-0653DD92A411.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 80
  • 6E69908A-93F2-43C6-93E5-81DC761AB886.png
    6E69908A-93F2-43C6-93E5-81DC761AB886.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 79
  • 32F834C2-21F0-41D6-996B-6AC556783D02.png
    32F834C2-21F0-41D6-996B-6AC556783D02.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 83

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
So this is the progression of growth in my eastern box turtle pen i will trim it down low enough to put a wire top on it for the winter but do most of you do a spring cleaning every year before summer or should I just leave the old growth as added cover. Right now the only areas I trim are around the pond, feeding area and a few gravel travel paths. The picture were it looks empty was taken in early April and the overgrown pik was taken today. The middle one was a month or so ago. There is also an area where nothing grows that’s all loose dirt and leaf litter for hunting and hibernation.

Looks good Nick!

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Looks good, Growing out nicely. I just let it grow out and find box turtles to dig and make it their own home. They really do make little nooks and hides, always fun keeping box turtles

Kyle

NickA

Mid Atlantic
Thanks for the compliments. We plan on listing our house next spring and moving into a larger house with more land. I’ve been making a checklist of all the ideas I’ve gathered from some of the amazing turtle pens I’ve seen on this site so I can apply them to my future turtle paradise.

Becca267

5 Year Member
North Texas
I have a quick question about your pond. Do you have a little fountain in it? Also, want kind of a container is that. It reminds me of the cement mixing tubs we keep our carnivorous plants in. I'm starting the plans for some renovations and creation of new spaces for my turtles and tortoises and I'm collecting ideas.

NickA

Mid Atlantic
I have a quick question about your pond. Do you have a little fountain in it? Also, want kind of a container is that. It reminds me of the cement mixing tubs we keep our carnivorous plants in. I'm starting the plans for some renovations and creation of new spaces for my turtles and tortoises and I'm collecting ideas.
It is a concrete mixing tub and the pump is solar powered. I got it off amazon for less then 20$ and it’s been running all summer it just helps keep the water a little cooler helping circulate.

Becca267

5 Year Member
North Texas
It is a concrete mixing tub and the pump is solar powered. I got it off amazon for less then 20$ and it’s been running all summer it just helps keep the water a little cooler helping circulate.
I like it. I wonder how hot the black tub would get here. (North Texas) I'll have to test the carnivorous water and see. It might be a great fit for my gulf coast turtle when he grows up a bit more and moves to a larger space.