New Pen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saloli

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
middle river
The first three pictures are of the pen after it was asembled and placed. The last two pictures are of the pen once it was filled with a mixture of wood humus, leaf mold, coco peat and some sand plus some actual forest soil to introduce the worms and milipeds and other critters.The plants in there so far are two frasier maples (red maple x silver maple witch are very common in the area), a pin oak, a Yucca filamentosa, a royal fern, and a poke weed. The litter is a mix of bald cypress, magnolia, frasier maple, tulip tree, holly and sweet gum. There are a few sweet gum tree logs that are in there that are fairly well colonised by fungus of different kinds. The pen itself is framed with pressure treated 2x2's, the screen is 1/2" hardware cloth which is to help protect the turtles from things like raccons, and rats though the raccons have never bothered the turtles. The black stuff on the bottom and side is industrial strength landscape fabric (like the kind used in commercial landscaping). The lid is hardware cloth and I have to built the frame for it (I ran out of wood I had to change the design from the original one), It will have hinges and locks. I'm planning on adding more plants in the spring.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi William:

That looks very secure for your turtles. I'm sure they'll be quite safe in there. How many turtles do you have and can we see pictures of them?

Tccarolina

10 Year Member!
CA
Looks great! They'll love it! If there's one habitat eastern box turtles are most at home in, its leaf litter.

Saloli

5 Year Member
middle river

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
What a great enclosure. You'll never have to worry about preditors with that. Did you put them in yet?

Saloli

5 Year Member
middle river
Yep they are in the pen. I had to make something to keep rats out, which is ironic considering that boxers are as smart as they are but rats have the advantage of being warm blooded. I just hope there is enough soil and leaf littler for their safety.

Status
Not open for further replies.