panacur

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jlant85

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
So ran across this thread and this fits the description that my little Shelby is going through.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-49389-page-2.html

If i am to go attempt the panacur treatment, what type of panacur do you guys recommend? I see one for dogs, cats and horses! i cant seem to find one specifically for tortoises!

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Panacur is panacur. The most important part is the % of active ingredients. Whether it be for dogs, cats or horses.

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
Thank you for the reply. found this chart to go by and (Crossing fingers) hope everything goes well. I cant stop thinking about it and since i work grave, this is going to be a long long night! Any tips on how to go about cleaning her outdoor enclosure? Shelby stays there permanently and i was wondering how i can clean it out?

http://www.tinytortoises.co.uk/panacur dosage charts.html

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Top layer cleaning should be fine. Say 2"-3" max. check once more after treatment in 3 months. Then each 6 months should be good. Remember during treatment it is important to keep area clean of of feces to help avoid reintroduction.

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
Cowboy_Ken said:
Top layer cleaning should be fine. Say 2"-3" max. check once more after treatment in 3 months. Then each 6 months should be good. Remember during treatment it is important to keep area clean of of feces to help avoid reintroduction.

Her outdoor enclosure has grass growing and other plants such as clovers and stuff. should i dig them out and just replace them? im willing to do so if i really need to!

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
On the bright side you'd have to give your tort a lot to kill it with panacur it's pretty safe if you do it right.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
If your tortoise has a large infestation of worms, consider treating at first with a half dose to prevent a mass die off of worms that can cause an impaction in your tortoise. Follow this with a regular dosing 10 days later. Also pick up some of that beneficial bacteria powder to help replace the good organisms that will be killed off along with the worms.
As far as cleaning to prevent re infection, just clean fecal matter out promptly, as well as completely scrubbing the water dish and food dish with a bleach water solution. Remember to rinse well.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Chances are the tortoise came to you with parasites...didn't get them from being outdoors at your house. If it were me, I wouldn't worry about "cleaning" the outdoor habitat. Just keep the poop picked up. The first time a bird with parasites poops in your outdoor pen, it's re-infested. So just keep it clean and hope for the best. An annual fecal check for parasites, right before hibernation, would be a good idea.

johnreuk

5 Year Member
Hampshire, England, UK
If you half dose, you are more likely to cause anthelmintic resistance, doing more harm than good. That said, doses of 50-100mg/kg are on the high side anyway, I tend to use 25mg/kg, this can be repeated every 7days, up to 4 treatments. However, ideally perform a faecal egg count prior to treating, then after worming to see whether it actually needs repeating. Fenbendazole will continue to work for up to 4 weeks, so depending on the type of worms (some die faster than others), you may want to wait and test again before re-dosing.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
johnreuk said:
If you half dose, you are more likely to cause anthelmintic resistance, doing more harm than good. That said, doses of 50-100mg/kg are on the high side anyway, I tend to use 25mg/kg, this can be repeated every 7days, up to 4 treatments. However, ideally perform a faecal egg count prior to treating, then after worming to see whether it actually needs repeating. Fenbendazole will continue to work for up to 4 weeks, so depending on the type of worms (some die faster than others), you may want to wait and test again before re-dosing.

Are you referring here to 5% or 10% active ingredients?

johnreuk

5 Year Member
Hampshire, England, UK
We have 2.5% and 10%...... it doesn't matter which one you use, I tend to use 10% unless the tortoise is so small that the volume is too tiny to accurately draw up!! :p I have never seen 5% here?

Status
Not open for further replies.