panacur

Status
Not open for further replies.

snoit83

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
Alright here is the story

I just posted 1000 miles. We made it alive and unharmed for the most part. I took my leopard, Leonard, to the vet and he had pin worms before we left. Hence the smelly and mushy stool. My vet and I decided to deworm everyone. (Houston area- Dr. Larry White Briarcrest vet is amazing and wonderful. Incredibly knowledgeable and compassionate! I would recommend him and his staff to everyone! )
My larger sulcata, Frank, has diarrhea and his poo is simply putrid! I am supposed to give them their dosage once a week for 3 weeks. I gave the second dose today and soaked everyone for about 10-15 minutes. Any suggestions or comments on how to get Franks tummy normal and prevent the others from getting an upset tummy? They get collard, turnip or mustard green rollups everyday ( rollups are where I take a handful of orchard, timothy, or Bermuda grass or hay cut up decently fine and roll it up in a green.) They usually get a piece of bell pepper, cactus, squash, or zucchini every other day. Anything you guys would like to suggest would be greatly appreciated! I value all of your opinions and I am very thankful for this forum!!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
How old and sizes of your torts? Not sure if you are feeding enough. Do they also graze daily, or is the roll up all they get? Just doesn't sound like a lot. Anyway, don't quite understand the upset stomach. Treat for the worms and the stomach problem should be solved, if I am understanding correctly.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Usually you give the tortoise a dose today, then another dose in 10 days. And that's Panacur. I've not heard of the every other day treatment.

snoit83

5 Year Member
Florida
They have hay available all the time that I switch out if it gets soiled. They are inside right now but normally they are outside where I plant grasses from sulcatastation.com when it is warm enough.
Frank is 2.67k
Beatrice is .765g
Leonard is .625g
Leonard and Bea usually get about 3-4 roll ups and Frank gets about 8-10. I divide whatever veggie I have proportionately and I use a whole pepper or whatever. Of course the 10.0 uva uvb bulbs and temps low of 75 on cold nights and 82ish on warmer nights. Basking area of about 95-105. Soaks every other day for the small ones every two-three days for Frank. As for their age... they are all rescues and I am not sire. I know Bea is almost two. Frank may be about 5 but he wasnt in the best shape when the rescue got him and was still very pyramided when I hot him almost 2 years ago.
I think after the third week/dose the worms should be gone but I know when u deworm dogs they may get diarrhea or vomit as a side effect of the worms dying and exiting the body.

Its one dose every 7 days for 3 weeks. Sorry if I didn't explain that clearly. I do that sometimes

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
You could add probiotics for gut microflora and perhaps provide a moistened pellet (there are many varieties; you might try alfalfa-based rabbit pellets or something similar, as mine will eat these) for extra gut bulk. Add some calcium powder to the moistened pellets and that should further improve stool binding. You could moisten a dish of pellets and sprinkle the calcium and probiotics on top to get it all in simply and together at once.

snoit83

5 Year Member
Florida
Ok I will pick up some Alfa pellets today and try that. Thank you. Where can I find probiotics? What are they called and can they be found in pet stores?

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
They can be found in pet stores or in grocery stores for people and there are many options. Either buy a powder or capsules, as you can pop apart the capsules to sprinkle the powder on the moistened food right before feeding. It would probably be easier to find a powder in a large chain pet store.

exoticsdr

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Southeast Texas
I would suggest using Critical Care by Oxbow, you should be able to get it from your vet...if not, come to Beaumont and I will make sure you get it. doc

Katherine

5 Year Member
exoticsdr said:
I would suggest using Critical Care by Oxbow, you should be able to get it from your vet...if not, come to Beaumont and I will make sure you get it. doc

+1 on Critical Care by Oxbow. Their herbivore formula has saved many a rescue for me :)

snoit83

5 Year Member
Florida
Frank did not poop yesterday so maybe he is starting to get better. His energy level has not changed. But my leopard tort is still lethargic. I will soak them today and give another update. I will call my vet and ask him about critical care by ox bow but we moved to a tiny town in florida so I will see where I can.pick it up

snoit83

5 Year Member
Florida
So I soaked everyone. Frank had a few mush urates but mostly water so they aren't getting dehydrated. Bea had some mushy stool mixes with what I hope to be pee. Leonard hadn't pooped and frank hasn't pooped. We will see when I get home if that's changed. Obviously I didn't call the vet because its Sunday. The little pet stores around here didn't have anything that represented probiotics. I have fotifloria for my dog. I didn't know if I might be able to use that.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
The fortiflora is okay, but it only contains one strain of one species (Enterococcus faecium, IIRC). It may help, but I personally prefer to administer a mix of organisms so that they can compete with each other and find their niches. A Whole Foods should have a bunch of Jarrow products. Walmart will have others in the digestive aides. Walgreens will have them in the dietary supplement area. Try to get one that has more than just L. acidophilus if you can for the reason I mentioned. You can also get stuff like Kefir at the grocery store.

snoit83

5 Year Member
Florida
I just read that panacur only does whip round tape and hook worms in dogs. Does that mean it does not do pin worms in tortoises?! Leonard is still lethargic and he has not pooped in a full 36 hours now. I guess I need to take him to Gainesville to see a vet. He likes the mazuri tortoise pellets but still does not like his greens. He has not been a big green eater in the past 3 months that I've had him.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
It works just fine on pinworms. I have never noticed any of mine becoming lethargic post-administration.

snoit83

5 Year Member
Florida
I talked to my vet in Texas and the lady that runs the reptile rescue I got him.from. they said it is probably a combination of moving medication and coming inside for the winter. They said to up the soaking to twice a day to get a bowel movement and make sure he is eating something. They said there isn't much the vet can do since.we did a fecal and blood work two weeks ago. There.are no signs of a URI so that is a good thing.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
If you want to try to restore gastrointestinal tract motility, assuming it is part of the issue, you could put some magnesium citrate solution in its mouth (be careful not to induce aspiration). A little will get things moving. A lot will get things zooming. So try only a little if you try at all.

snoit83

5 Year Member
Florida
So it got about 82 today so I brought Leonard outside. He does not seem at all lethargic when.he is out. I brought him in and soaked him and out came his.poo. he seems to feel better now
I know this is off topic but I could find any relevant info online
I am building a tortoise enclosure this week and i was wondering what trees are unsafe for my torts
The place that gets the most sun has two trees. One is an oak and the other I think is an acorn tree. I would post a picture but my phone completely refuses to do that. I even opened a photo bucket and it still.won't do it. They lived under a magnolia tree in Texas and would occasionally eat the leaves and.the blooms. I tried to rake them the best I could so they didn't gorge on them. Latest on Frank is solid poo and nice urate. Bea is good too we are just watching Leonard. Thank you for all of your educated options and together everyone is on a better path. I just love this forum!!

Status
Not open for further replies.