Owner Attachment

MHabrat

Location (City and/or State)
Summerville, SC
I realize that this is going to sound very odd, however our 3 month old RF follows my son around. We allow Jim out to walk around on the hardwood floors (cleanly swept and steam mopped of course) and if Craig (my son) moves, to another area of the room, Jim follows. He could care less if my husband or I were to move, but it honestly seems that Jim is seeking out Craig.

An example of his preference can be seen when both Craig and I sit on the floor with Jim. He will walk to Craig and attempt to climb up on his legs. If you put Jim closer to and facing me, he will turn and go seek out Craig.

Having been reptile owners for years, we are well aware the reptiles in general do not create attachments to their owners as say a dog or a cat would, however, since we are first time Tort owners, I thought I would throw this out to the more experienced owners and see if there is an explanation for the behavior.

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
Is Craig the one who normally feeds your tort perhaps? He may be seeing if the "food god" has any presents for him.

MHabrat

Summerville, SC
No. It's actually pretty evenly split between the three of us as far as feeding goes. Craig does handle him more but again I didn't think that had any bearing.

It's pretty cute, and I'm not complaining by any means, I just wondered if tortoises were different that other reptiles in this way.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
MHabrat said:
No. It's actually pretty evenly split between the three of us as far as feeding goes. Craig does handle him more but again I didn't think that had any bearing.

It's pretty cute, and I'm not complaining by any means, I just wondered if tortoises were different that other reptiles in this way.

To piggy back the others ideas about feeding, is Craig the one that generally provides treats (fruit and protein)?

jennanne

My tortoise Peanut does that :) I've had her for ten years and ever since she was a hatchling she followed me around. We let her walk around and she follows me wherever I am, it's very precious and your son should feel lucky that your tortoise chose him ;)

MHabrat

Summerville, SC
@Redstrike- No, I am typically the one to give proteins and fruit (in an attempt to regulate amounts).

@Jennane- It's funny you say that. When we went to look at the 4 we chose Jim from (we told Craig it was an outing to earn a cubscout award) he and Jim spent the most time together and he didn't even look at another tort. We paid for him that day and the herp vet we used keep him for us until Christmas. So I absolutely think they chose each other! I'm so glad to hear that other's have experienced this same behavior!

jennanne

I read somewhere that redfoots are known for their personalities and their resemblance to cats and dogs. Peanut is also a redfoot so I definitely think they live up to that title! Peanut even likes to sit on my lap and have her head rubbed, so tell your son that if your tortoise starts climbing on him, he's just trying to get even closer to him :) very adorable.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
All my torts follow me butt I am the only one who feeds, soaks, and handle them .

TommyZ

5 Year Member
It probably is that the tort just likes your son more. I know what people say about torts and not them not forming attachments to their owners. However, now that I have a fairly large group of torts I see a great difference in each of them, some are just more responsive and friendly than others. Some "like" us more than others.

What I can say for sure is that some of them clearly like me more then my Mrs and some like my Mrs more than me. So if you say your tort loves your son, id say your eyes dont lie, youve found your son a life long buddy :)

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
I have not kept other reptiles, but I would say torts might be different than some of their reptile cousins. Some just have personality.
Not comparing chickens to torts, but I have had several chickens just attach themselves to me. If I am out in the barnyard, these particular chickens will seek me out and 'hang' with me, abandoning their own kind in preference to following me. Some were raised from chicks and some were bought already older. So I dont think it is a case of imprinting. If so, the rest of the flock would do as well. Not sure what makes the occasional individual animal choose a human as their bff. But it is cute, and fun.

MHabrat

Summerville, SC
I have seen it in chickens (actually a rooster) but I was pleasantly surprised to see the tort displaying the same attachment. It appears that Torts are the exception to the rule and It reinforces that we made the best choice for Craig's first (and one that will stick with him for many many years to come) reptile!

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
I have also seen this in chickens, ducks, and geese. My Leo's are awful little yet but they do seem to come "a tortling" when they hear my voice or see me close to their enclosure. I can't wait to see how they behave outside when it warms up.

MHabrat

Summerville, SC
Yeah, I'm excited to let Jim wander the yard. We are setting up a tort safe area just outside if the garden. Fencing is going up as soon as I can stand to be outside for longer than 30min at a time. Sad that it's this chilly in SC! 14 degrees tonight! Burr!!!