Too Young for Substrate

MHabrat

Location (City and/or State)
Summerville, SC
We have had Jim (our 3.5 month old Cherry Head Tort) for a couple of weeks now. When we purchased him, we were told that "he" was too young to use substrate and were instructed to purchase a reptile carpet. We are from SC, so humidity is not typically an issue, however I can tell the levels are not currently what Jim needs. I believe the rational behind not using it now was that "he" would eat it.

Is under a year truly too young for substrate? And if not, what would be the best brand to get. Or, would it be better to just invest in a fogger for these times when the humidity is too low until Jim matures more.

I appreicate any advice. Thanks!

mtdavis254817

10 Year Member!
I've never heard that. I would use coco coir. You can find it at pet smart. It is great for humidity and is harmless if eaten in small amounts. Put his food on a dish or a flat stone to keep the substrate off the food

MHabrat

Summerville, SC
mtdavis254817 said:
I've never heard that. I would use coco coir. You can find it at pet smart. It is great for humidity and is harmless if eaten in small amounts. Put his food on a dish or a flat stone to keep the substrate off the food

Thank you, I will look into that.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have never heard that too. Except for hatchlings whose yolk sack has not Osborn yet and the plastron is still separated. The advice given about the coir is a good one. The advice about the carpet, not a good one.

MHabrat

Summerville, SC
Why are so many people told to buy the carpet? I've been reading through many threads on this forum and it seems to be a common misinformation that is given out.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Man I have heard it all now . A month ago or so someone was told there enclosure was to big . Now its to young for dirt . It the wild tortoises are hatched out in dirt . They live in dirt . They may even eat dirt . I know for one I have never ever been walking in the woods and said look over there son them are baby tortoise on that carpet god made for them . Look at that pretty box he made them so the world isn't to big . So metimes I just want to smack them sales people that don't know they have stupid leaking out of there teeth filled holes .

MHabrat

Summerville, SC
Mike, I thought the same thing, but they said if Jim were to eat the substrate they carry in the store (which by-the-way is the coco fiber; I called) it would cause him to get sick and/or impacted. I will go ahead and purchase the substrate and change things out this weekend. Additionally I am investing in a temp gun to determine that the heat lamp is keeping the temp where it needs to be. If I need to purchase a ceramic heater I will. Unfortunately I don't have the time to build a custom enclosure so the tank will have to suffice for another month.

TortoiseWorld

5 Year Member
Lisle Illinois
This is what I use, Zilla jungle mix, make sure you first freeze it over night to kill wood mite eggs.

zilla-jungle-mix-litter.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I hope I didn't anger you by being a smart... but them sales people need to buy a clue . I have a one year old sulcata on coco coir its hole life. I got him when he was a week old or so . I also have three red footed tortoises I have raised in the same substrate . Yes they will give it a munch but they quickly find out its not tasty . We as keepers need to setup the animals as closely to natural as possible .

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't keep cherry heads, but all of my other species are started on substrate from literally day one from the time they come out of the brooder box.