Overgrown beak

Sulcatachris

5 Year Member
My Russian tort has a overgrown beak. He's eating good, I want to know what I can do about his beak.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
PacificNorthWest
You can use a dremel tool and trim it. Or a toenail clipper, or a finger nail file. Or a Vet can do it easily

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
You started a new thread...good job on the picture this time!! ?

Maggie is correct about what to use to trim it yourself. If you are afraid to do it yourself (I think I would be), the vet can do it.

evansmom

Pacifica, CA
We used a dremel and did it ourselves. It's a TWO person job -- one person uses the tool while the other person holds the head and tortoise's body steady. Don't be afraid -- it goes pretty quicklly. When the tortoise's head is out of the shell (hold the head out gently but firmly as the tortoise won't like it), the second person can usually do the "dremel-ing" (is that a word? ha ha). It two us two attempts before we were comfortable with doing the task, but it wasn't that traumatic and the tortoise seems to be able to eat more comfortably -- our guy adjusted to the improved bite quickly and has been eating pretty well. There's are lots of videos and advice on YouTube (some good and some not as helpful) - just Google "trimming a tortoise beak."

Last edited:

Sulcatachris

5 Year Member
Thank you for the advice. I'm going to take him to the vet. I don't have a dremel and would feel better knowing someone professional can do it.

evansmom

Pacifica, CA

We used a dremel and did it ourselves. It's a TWO person job -- one person uses the tool while the other person holds the head and tortoise's body steady. Don't be afraid -- it goes pretty quickly. We wrapped the tortoise in a soft towel to keep his feet out of the way. Hold the head out gently but firmly as the tortoise won't like it). The second person can usually do the "dremel-ing" (is that a word? ha ha). Be careful not to trim too much and definitely stop sooner than later if you or your partner think you've done enough -- trimming too much could cause bleeding, which would not be good. It took us two attempts before we were comfortable with doing the task, but it wasn't that traumatic and the tortoise seems to be able to eat more comfortably -- our guy adjusted to the improved bite quickly and has been eating pretty well. There's are lots of videos and advice on YouTube (some good and some not as helpful) - just Google "trimming a
tortoise beak."

1606670985306.png

View attachment 311962

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
So, I have a question...What would contribute to this Beak Growth happening? I have Parrots and use Calcium Perches to give my kids something to work with to keep their beaks in perfect form. Would cuttlebone pieces help the Tort work on her/his own trimming? Or could this be partially a medical condition?

Lauren Tilbury

5 Year Member
Huntington Beach, California
You can use a dremel tool and trim it. Or a toenail clipper, or a finger nail file. Or a Vet can do it easily
You have to be careful because he used to toenail clippers it can crack it down the middle like your own finger nail I had to take mine to the vet to get it done with the Dremel and she had a really overgrown week I think that’s easiest way to do it and then when you feed her put her on her food on like a hard stones that she Hass to kind a grind it down