Overgrown beak

Sulcatachris

5 Year Member
So, I have a question...What would contribute to this Beak Growth happening? I have Parrots and use Calcium Perches to give my kids something to work with to keep their beaks in perfect form. Would cuttlebone pieces help the Tort work on her/his own trimming? Or could this be partially a medical condition?
I'm not sure but I think like a bird's beak it just grows. I have a cuttlebone in his house, but he won't use it.

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wales
I'm not sure but I think like a bird's beak it just grows. I have a cuttlebone in his house, but he won't use it.

Break the cuttlefish bone up into slightly larger than bitesize chunks, it wont help a lot with the beak but its a good source of calcium. In my experience though they always need trimming occasionally, indoor captive torts just dont wear them down the same as in the wild.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
PacificNorthWest
Thank you for the advice. I'm going to take him to the vet. I don't have a dremel and would feel better knowing someone professional can do it.
I live in a town of 40k residents. My exotic Vet wants $75 for a beak trip on any reptile. We have a Mom and Pop pet store that is pretty cool, and he sells those big $2500 parrots (skreeeech), anyhow, I sell my parakeet babies to him. I explained how I have lost most of the use of my right hand, so when a turtle or tortoise needs a beak trim I can't do it anymore, so he charges me $5 and I have ta hold the head...you 'could' hit up some exotic bird pet shops, or feed stores and see if you can't find one that will do the deed for less than a Vet

Sulcatachris

5 Year Member
I live in a town of 40k residents. My exotic Vet wants $75 for a beak trip on any reptile. We have a Mom and Pop pet store that is pretty cool, and he sells those big $2500 parrots (skreeeech), anyhow, I sell my parakeet babies to him. I explained how I have lost most of the use of my right hand, so when a turtle or tortoise needs a beak trim I can't do it anymore, so he charges me $5 and I have ta hold the head...you 'could' hit up some exotic bird pet shops, or feed stores and see if you can't find one that will do the deed for less than a Vet
Thanks for the info! Great idea!