Overgrown Beak

rebeccalynn1208

My friend just got this beautiful gentle Russian but sadly the previous owners didn't know exactly how to take care of him. His beak is sadly overgrown. What are some tips to slowly getting it back to the normal proper length? ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1417294006.380071.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1417294034.557479.jpg

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
You can use a wooden nail file to gently file it down. You could also feed him on a terra-cotta plant saucer or a piece of slate. I know your tortoise is not a Russian tortoise, might be a Greek or Hermann tortoise. Somebody will be along soon to tell you what kind, either way try those two suggestions for the beak. The vet can also trim it down.

Jacobjtd

I'm the owner of the tortoise, and from what I've seen of photos it looked like a Russian as I was told, if anyone has even the faintest idea of what it could possibly be if it isn't that would be great.

Last edited:

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
@rebeccalynn1208 your tortoise is a Hermann's. Where are you located. I only ask because if you're close enough, I could work on the beak for you!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm the owner of the tortoise, and from what I've seen of photos it looked like a Russian as I was told, if anyone has even the faintest idea of what it could possibly be if it isn't that would be great.

It's a Hermanni, and it's quite a bit older than 5 years. More than likely full grown.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
By the size. I'd say it was around 7 or 8 years old when you got it, then you can see all the really smooth growth for the past 5 years.

Let's get @HermanniChris opinion

katfinlou

5 Year Member
It looks very similar to my tortoise, which is a Hermanns. His beak was badly overgrown too and my vet was able to trim it right down for a very small amount