Recently Received Hermann

Jacobjtd

So, I was told I was getting a 5 year old Russian. He had minor pyramiding on one part of his shell and a severely overgrown beak. I posted on here and he turns out to be roughly 8 years old and Hermann. I'm not exactly sure what the difference is and I really just got him because a family friend no longer wished to care for him, and I always loved seeing him; and want to give him a good home. What do you guys think I need to properly make him comfortable and happy? Right now his tank is rather bare I will be getting plants and rocks and all tomorrow. [ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1417322089.838785.jpgATTACH=full]107077[/ATTACH]ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1417322016.836272.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1417322000.354819.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1417322000.354819.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
Welcome to the forum. Your tortoise is very pretty. Check out species specific-mediterranean tortoise-Hermann tortoise section. For specific information. The care of the Russian and the Herman are similar. give us some pictures of his current enclosure and we can give you ideas. You can use large tote bins, Christmas tree storage bins, old bookcases late on their back with the shells removed, stock tanks. And when the weather gets nice you can build an outdoor enclosure but for now will keep him warm and safe indoors if you live in a cold climate.

Jacobjtd

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1417325034.033814.jpg
I am getting crushed walnut shells missed with dirt as bedding, tomorrow along with more things but I need ideas of what plants to put in there. It is a 36x18 aquarium.

Jacobjtd

Also, this doesn't mean much but I named him Chives. Which I later learned are harmful to tortoises so I'm not going to put a bush in his tank as I originally planned. I have however brought pots inside to start growing a small portion of his food for him so it's fresh and all. I originally planned on lettuce but what would you suggest?

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I don't know much about the crushed walnut shells. I personally would get coconut coir or cypress mulch. These hold moisture well, you can also mix them together. And it gives the tortoise something to dig in. The shells sound like they might be sharp. Your tortoise will eventually need a much larger enclosure. What kind of lights do you have? I would suggest mercury vapor bulb hundred watt positioned at one end of the tank. This would provide heat and UVB. avoid the coil type bulbs, they may cause I issues. I know it sometime sounds overwhelming at first with people throwing out all these ideas. But just take it one step at a time.

Jacobjtd

I will be receiving a larger tank after New Years. We have a bearded dragon who needs a larger tank and I get the current one he's in when we get the next size up. How would you suggest making a tortoise table? Also the crushed walnut is like a dirt sand mixture only edible if they eat it. All I have is heating lamps I know to stay away from coiled bulbs thank you. If I were to make a tortoise table what size would you suggest? My first step is making this enclosure good until we get the next size up. Then slowly make things better and better as time goes on.

Jacobjtd

Okay I will try to get one soon. At this very day I have $100 to put out on Chives right now. I can get more soon but that's all I can spare for today. What would you say be the most important thing to get him?

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Many people recommend a 4 x 8' tortoise table. If you do not have space for that you can use large Rubbermaid bins 50 gallon or larger, stock tanks, bookcases laid on their back with the shelves taken out, kiddie pools. The idea is to have a lot of floor space not high sides. Sand is not recommended because it causes impaction. The coconut coir is also digestible if they should eat it. Feed him on a piece of slate or a terra-cotta plant saucer so he doesn't ingest the substrate. The long fluorescent tubes have not led to I problems as far as I know. Just the coil ones. But A mercury vapor bulb is the easiest way to go, put it in a large 11 inch ceramic fixture that you can get at Home Depot for cheap compared to the pet store. You can put it at one end of the enclosure so that there'll be a warmer side and cooler side.

Jacobjtd

I currently don't have room for a 4x8 turtle table right now. The room I have Chives in (my bedroom also called pet room by family) contains 5 baby snappers, 1 hedge hog, 1 eastern box turtle and now a Hermann. When people want to toss out their pets or don't want them anymore everyone seems to give them to me. Okay no to sand thank you. I do have a rock for him to feed off which will be better tomorrow when I go shopping to buy him stuff to hold him over until he gets a larger tank in a month. So the long fluorescent UVB light bulbs that are straight are find for the tortoise? I have like 5 of those so ill use one.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Yep, the long fluorescent tubes are fine. Then you will need something for heat, just a regular lightbulb or a floodlight will work. Do you have a temperature gun or a UV meter? I have a lot of animals also, I know how people always want to keep giving you more. That's how I got my Boxturtle :)

Jacobjtd

They have two bulbs for heat now and a heating pad under the tank. I do not have a temperature gun but I will be getting a thermostat to go on the inside of the tank. I agree though, if someone has a lot of pets people just keep giving that person more, because it's like hey the more the merrier.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
You probably don't need the under tank heater. Tortoises like their heat coming from above. The two bulbs might make it too hot but you'll know when you get the temperature gun. I like the gun because you can measure the tortoises shell and see how hot they really are.as far as diet goes, it is better for them to eat things such as collard greens, turnip greens, endive, occasional Romain or red lettuce, dandelion greens, cactus, different kinds of weeds. There's a huge list in the species specific section. avoid fruit. And no animal protein. dust the food lately with calcium powder a couple times a week.

Jacobjtd

Okay so I'll start stocking up on those foods and looking more into what types I'll be able to grow in a vegetable garden. Thank you so much, I just want to make him as happy and healthy as I can and now I have full lists and am able to help him how much I can. I'll remove the bottom heater right away. How warm should their shells be? Mine is slightly warm to the touch and he is currently sleeping. I've heard good things about types of cactus and I will plant some in his tank. I know about the can trick to make sure the tortoise can not eat the roots so it keeps growing. I will also turn one bulb off now so it will not get too hot. Thank you so much. Any other things I should know for getting his tank ready tomorrow?

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
You can also buy seeds specifically for tortoises, they usually call it a Russian mix or a broadleaf mix. I have ordered from both tortoise supply.com and Carolina pet supply.com. I grow the seeds in the outdoor enclosure for summer and then in my window during the winter. they are basically a mix of broadleaf weed's like chickaree and chai and plantane etc. They sprout fast, if I can grow them anybody can. I would have to look specifically under the Hermann tortoise care sheet but I think the basking spot should be around 95° so I wouldn't want the top shelfl warmer than that. You should also check out the enclosure section, they have some great ideas in there.