Outdoor sulcata enclosure ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sulcata101

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Sebastopol
I've been wanting to build a pen for Cheerio, he is now 2 years old, and I think at this point he really needs one. I've been debating on how I should build it, I've been thinking of the kiddy pool idea, but I'm renting and my landlord would probably not want to look at an ugly plastic kiddy pool lol. I was thinking that maybe I could use wood for the siding because it looks more natural. Any advice or other ideas?

iluvtorts

5 Year Member
sulcata101 said:
I've been wanting to build a pen for Cheerio, he is now 2 years old, and I think at this point he really needs one. I've been debating on how I should build it, I've been thinking of the kiddy pool idea, but I'm renting and my landlord would probably not want to look at an ugly plastic kiddy pool lol. I was thinking that maybe I could use wood for the siding because it looks more natural. Any advice or other ideas?

I have 2 approx 60 pound males. Where i am staying now I cant put up a permanent fence. I bought pressure treated 2x4s. I used mostly 8 footers. my ground is level. Ialso bought 1/2 inch osb. I painted everything to look nice and protect wood. I then built frames with an 8 foot 2x4 top and bottom and upright boards on the end and 1 in the middle to make the frame 25 inches tall. I used deck screws to attach the wood leaving it up 1 inch from the bottom of the frame so that it doesnt touch the ground. You then place the plywood side in and build your fence by screwing it together with more deck screws. The good thing is that you can build any shape or size you need by making different length panels. the main thing is that the ground is leveled so that no light shows through to encourage digging. You could make the panels shorter in height. i just wanted to be sure that they couldnt ever see out. It is nice because there is very little digging and it can be taken apart to move. I live in NM and I have already used it for 3 years and no rotting. You can also build panels as you get the money and tortoise grows to need more space. My 2 males have not tried to dig or push the fence over. I can tell you more if you want to pm me.

Status
Not open for further replies.