Outdoor enclosure

Walter21

Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
I need some ideas on putting together an outside enclosure for an adult Russian Male tortoise. I have played with the idea of getting a kiddy pool but that wouldn’t be deep enough once I put enough dirt in there to prevent him from escaping. I have also played with the idea of getting a hard plastic pond digging a hole and sticking that in the ground but I have found they are a good size but not deep enough or just way too big. Does anyone have any photos of what they have done before?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have a dog exercise fence laid on the ground with metal decorative fencing over the top edges of it. This way weeds and grass still grow through but he can't dig out. Just make sure the fencing spacing isn't too far apart for him to fit through.

Walter21

Maryland
I have a dog exercise fence laid on the ground with metal decorative fencing over the top edges of it. This way weeds and grass still grow through but he can't dig out. Just make sure the fencing spacing isn't too far apart for him to fit through.

Could you post a picture? I’m not sure exactly what your talking about.

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Louisiana
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Greenes...ail-Cedar-Raised-Garden-Bed-RC6T21B/203477958

You can buy this and add some wire mesh on top for protection and to keep him from escaping. Just make a frame for the wire mesh so you can lift it up to get in the enclosure. If your yard is secure, adding a wood ledge to extend over the enclosure will help the excellent climber in the enclosure. Be extra careful by the corners. That is the best spot to try and escape. I'm sure someone can also give you ideas on sinking boards 12in around the box to prevent digging out. Providing lots of safe plants and hides so he won't want to dig helps too. 4x8 is the minimum size for an adult Russian. You can buy two of them and combine them to make a huge area for him to live. I don't have a Russian but have seen quite a few enclosure examples on here.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Here's another idea in picture. You can attach a chicken wire fence under it with zip ties or possible staples. There's other ones similar to pic but where you can stack them to make the sides higher. You can also buy 2x4' and screw then together and staple chicken wire to it for a floor.

Diamond

phoenix,az
I need some ideas on putting together an outside enclosure for an adult Russian Male tortoise. I have played with the idea of getting a kiddy pool but that wouldn’t be deep enough once I put enough dirt in there to prevent him from escaping. I have also played with the idea of getting a hard plastic pond digging a hole and sticking that in the ground but I have found they are a good size but not deep enough or just way too big. Does anyone have any photos of what they have done before?

Diamond

phoenix,az
My husband just finished this one for me about a month ago. I have my 2 year old RT on one side and my 8 month Dalmatian Hermanni goes out for sun time on the other side. We put a brick divider down the middle so they can't get to one another and the blocks for the enclosure are set on a cement slab that we have had unoccupied for years. Since RT's are a bit of escape artists we decided we would set up the enclosure on there. eventually we will build a second enclosure for when the Dalmatian is ready for fulltime outdoors. The divider will come out and the RT will have the entire enclosure to her/himself. the top is chicken wire placed between wood strips. The back panel has a sunscreen on both sides for extra shade. The AZ sun is hot!! Both sides have their own hinges,handles and latches. I have pot with sun rose succulent sunk into the dirt which the RT uses for hiding under the growth. Also have a wood hide in there which we will add heat to this winter. Just got a terra cotta pot that I'm going to sink for a hopefully cooler hide when wet. I'm so happy with this and it should last you years to come. I painted all the wood with a stain and water sealant. The enclosure is a 6X6. Its under a big shade tree, but gets sun in the morning and evening.enclosure2.jpg enclosure.jpg enclosure2.jpg enclosure.jpg enclosure2.jpg enclosure.jpg enclosure2.jpg enclosure.jpg enclosure2.jpg enclosure2.jpg enclosure.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Guy's, so that everyone reading knows, chicken wire will not keep some predators out. Raccoons, dogs, and coyotes can go right through it. Hardware cloth or welded wire will be more effective for those applications.

Here are some outdoor enclosure examples:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/outdoor-enclosures.121732/