Outdoor enclosure building advice for a very non-handy owner.

Lindsey311

I have two two year old boy yellow footed tortoises and am lucky enough to live in Florida where the weather is perfect for them outside. Currently they are housed in a plastic kiddy-pool but they need more space and I want to build them an outdoor home. I am not handy and have never taken on a project like this but I do have a lot of time and helpers. Advice? Tips? Where do I start? Recommended products/materials? Thank you!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Are you wanting to use bricks/blocks or wood or wire for your sides? Wanting a lid or not?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
When I first started building pens, I didn't think I was handy either, so I bought cinder blocks. Whenever I went to the home improvement store they all whispered behind their hands to each other, "Here comes the cinder block lady." I must've bought a million of them over time.

Anyway...it doesn't take an engineer or a construction worker to pile up cinder blocks, and you end up with a pretty darned nice-looking pen. Just be careful to start with a level surface and start stacking. Tom likes to stagger stack, but I just stack them right on top of each other. For a YF you probably don't need more than two high. You can make it as big as you can afford blocks.

Lindsey311

I'm open for any suggestions on materials, cinder blocks sound good! And yes we definitely need a lid but not sure how to make one. Thanks for the tips!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I like the slumpstone blocks. They cost more, but they look nice.

They sell 1/2 blocks. I will usually start a row with a full block, and then start the next row on top of it with a half block. This is the staggering that Yvonne spoke of. It makes them harder to tip over. Maybe not a concern with a small YF, but definitely a concern with the bigger sulcatas and SA leopards that I keep. Here are some examples showing it:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/daisys-new-enclosure.28662/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/enclosure-expansion.38788/