Outdoor pond in the uk

outdoorponduk

Location (City and/or State)
England
I am planning to build a pond in my garden (north west England) I have been looking into european pond turtles but I can't find whether they are compatible with fish. I would like to keep a turtle and fish if possible, the pond will be around 2ft deep and around 36 square foot. Does anyone know of fish that could be kept with a european pond turtle or if not of any similar species that can?

outdoorponduk

England
I am planning to build a pond in my garden (north west England) I have been looking into european pond turtles but I can't find whether they are compatible with fish. I would like to keep a turtle and fish if possible, the pond will be around 2ft deep and around 36 square foot. Does anyone know of fish that could be kept with a european pond turtle or if not of any similar species that can?
We've decided we definitely want european pond turtle just wondering if any fish can be kept as well :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have turtles with fish, and some of my turtles are pretty aggressive species. It is my experience that turtles don't expend too much energy chasing healthy, fast-swimming fish. Yes, they will eat slow-moving or sick fish, and I occasionally see a bite taken out of a fin or tail, but usually the turtles leave the fish alone.

outdoorponduk

England
Maybe @Markw84 can help.
I have turtles with fish, and some of my turtles are pretty aggressive species. It is my experience that turtles don't expend too much energy chasing healthy, fast-swimming fish. Yes, they will eat slow-moving or sick fish, and I occasionally see a bite taken out of a fin or tail, but usually the turtles leave the fish alone.
Thank you for your help! Do you have any recommendations of fish? Would mosquitofish be fast enough? we get quite a lot of mosquitos here :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes, I use mosquito fish. If they're eaten at all, they reproduce much faster than they're eaten, because there is very soon many more than I originally put in. I also buy cheap goldfish for my pond. I recently had to drain the pond and my little inch long cheap goldfish are now about 10" long.

outdoorponduk

England
Yes, I use mosquito fish. If they're eaten at all, they reproduce much faster than they're eaten, because there is very soon many more than I originally put in. I also buy cheap goldfish for my pond. I recently had to drain the pond and my little inch long cheap goldfish are now about 10" long.
Thank you so much!

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I have not kept European Pond Turtles, so do not know how aggressive they are with fish. I would not expect them to be much of a problem at all. I have kept all kinds of turtles with bluegill, koi, minnows, guppies and even sturgeon. IF the fish are healthy, there is no problem at all. Small fish when first put in a pond are of interest to turtles the first day or so, but then once used to the pond, they are ignored.

outdoorponduk

England
I have not kept European Pond Turtles, so do not know how aggressive they are with fish. I would not expect them to be much of a problem at all. I have kept all kinds of turtles with bluegill, koi, minnows, guppies and even sturgeon. IF the fish are healthy, there is no problem at all. Small fish when first put in a pond are of interest to turtles the first day or so, but then once used to the pond, they are ignored.
Thank you! Im planning on putting some mosquito fish in and some minnows :)