New here hi! Would like to add turtle to pond suggestions?

Katarina

Location (City and/or State)
North Carolina
Hi i would like to add a turtle to this pond.
I never had a turtle so it would be my first.
Can u recommended beginner friendly species?

So far I have read that I should only get one turtle not two and I know that I need to build a wooden frame around the pond so he can't climb out.

The pond is 8.2 feet x 8.2 feet and 30 inches deep at the lowest part.
It's not completely filled in the pictures.
The pipe is a overflow. And I would put mesh over the overflow so the turtle would not get into. I would also add a few big branches for sunning.

Can u recommend me easy turtle species that could live in this all year round?
What would u put in it?
And I live in North Carolina.20220310_221914.jpg
20220310_221957.jpg
20220310_222054.jpg20220310_222120.jpg

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings. Nice little pond you have there. So, the “turtle” that you get, do you want a pet turtle or more wildish turtle that you just put in your pond? I’m thinking you could easily add a few Red-Eared Sliders and just let them be “wild” & not pets per se. Or, do you plan to fully enclose that pond so nothing comes in or escapes? An Eastern Box Turtle or two would probably work well. So….it’s up to you really.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
that pond and land area would safely hold a lot more than one turtle ............ just make sure there are a lot more hiding spots than there are turtles ........... painted turtles , would be easy , any northern turtles would stay outside in n carolina with no problem ......

Katarina

North Carolina
Greetings. Nice little pond you have there. So, the “turtle” that you get, do you want a pet turtle or more wildish turtle that you just put in your pond? I’m thinking you could easily add a few Red-Eared Sliders and just let them be “wild” & not pets per se. Or, do you plan to fully enclose that pond so nothing comes in or escapes? An Eastern Box Turtle or two would probably work well. So….it’s up to you really.
More like wild but still escape proof.
I just want to look at it sometimes when it suns or eats. And I would like to have low maintenance. So smaller turtles would be more intresting to me. Are there easy turtle species or are they all easy to just put in?

Katarina

North Carolina
that pond and land area would safely hold a lot more than one turtle ............ just make sure there are a lot more hiding spots than there are turtles ........... painted turtles , would be easy , any northern turtles would stay outside in n carolina with no problem ......
I read that they fight and the people on reddit were very angry when I asked if I could put more than one in...

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Yes….some Painted Turtles would work well. Pretty easy to acquire & keep in a pond like yours.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The people responding to you on reddit don't know what they're talking about. I have a small pond similar to yours that houses five female red ear sliders, one f. western painted, one f. phrynops hillari and three western pond turtles. They don't fight.

Katarina

North Carolina
I'm watching videos about the painted turtles just realised there are 4 diffrent types..
Gonna do more research about them

Katarina

North Carolina
Hi thanks again. After research I decided to get 4 eastern painted turtles. I'm picking them up tomorrow they are fully grown. three are females one is a male.