Outdoor enclosures????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lilithlee

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Virginia
I since winter practically didn't happen here. It seems where going to have a early, hot, spring. And I'm torn about outdoor enclosures, I'm not sure If I want to buy one or build one. Which way would cost more, I had about $150 to spent on an outdoor enclosure. I'm leaning toward buying one because of locks and I like layout. But I thought I'd get advice first.

tillysmom

5 Year Member
Where do u live? I'm in new york and I was also going 2 do a outdoor enclosure. We were goin 2 build 1, just seems much more personal.

SulcataSquirt

5 Year Member
Missouri
what kinda out outdoor enclosure can you buy? I would build one out of some teated lumber, or cinder blocks. what did you have in mind if you were to build one?

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
one you buy, will prob be very small. bigger the better.. Cinder blocks with capped corners work well. my russian is in a 4x8 area. cinder blocks and RR tie...simple.

Lilithlee

5 Year Member
Virginia
tillysmom said:
Where do u live? I'm in new york and I was also going 2 do a outdoor enclosure. We were goin 2 build 1, just seems much more personal.

I live in VA.

Sulcatasquirt; I can buy one of those zoo med house, and later in the summer buy other one, so, it will be bigger.

I can't be the cinderbox b/c my landlord nor my roommates will not like that in the yard.

But can still look around at building one.

slowpoke

5 Year Member
colorado springs, colorado
i made one sense i dont really have a yard to make a big one and i can only have them outside when im at home (neighborhood is going to crap) and im afraid someone will take them lol but i made it more like a rabbit cage with the chicken wire (and a lock) so cats and the neighborhood kids can't get in to it... its 6 foot by 2.5 feet i have hides on both sides and planting and feeding area in the center ...

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I think it would cost less to build your own. Those ones that ascott posted are really nice and I can't believe it would cost that much. However I would think the wire top they have maybe too tight of a weave to let good UVB in. I would go with more like a chicken wire, larger openings for UVB to enter.

Lilithlee

5 Year Member
Virginia
ascott said:

I probably could build something like that, but half would have to have a cover b/c know where is my yard had enough sun and shade equally.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
cinder block can be painted to look nicer.. and its portable.. not permanant.. landlord shouldnt care too much..

Lilithlee

5 Year Member
Virginia
Laura said:
cinder block can be painted to look nicer.. and its portable.. not permanant.. landlord shouldnt care too much..

You're probably right about the landlord, but my roomate, who is also my sister, I know would not go for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.