rain? and heat outdoor enclosures

Jazzbell772

What do you do about rain in the outdoor enclosures? It rains heavy here in Louisiana and i'm not sure what i can plan to make for my baby hermann's. Also, do you put heating elements outside? What to do on cold nights?

Jazenami

I would also like to know about the rain part. When it gets nicer here I want to move mine to a kiddie pool outside but what if it rains? Pretty sure he'd be in a giant mud puddle.

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
I live in south Louisiana and have a plan for my young tortoises come spring. I will type out an explanation tomorrow when I get on my PC

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southwest Washington
I think with a Med tortoise like a Hermann's or Russian you have to have a dry protected area if there is torrential rain. So a large cold frame, or a piece of polycarbonate covering part of the enclosure.
And a well drained enclosure.
Not sure how much supplemental heat you need down there most of the year. Looking forward to additional explanations!

sulcatajosh

I live in California and it probably doesn't rain as much as were you are but I'm building a house for my year old sulcata that will be pretty much rain proof. I will post a pic of it when it is finished.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
they like the rain.. what would they do in the wild if it rained? just provide them plenty of cover and shelter..
as for heat.. mine is out of the elements.. under cover.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
They do like rain, but not flooding/torrential rain. In the wild, they have dry burrows to retreat to if needed.
Mediterranean tortoises certainly should not be cold and wet. A nice summer rain is one thing....

The idea is to give them options. Louisiana is not their native climate, so you need to make sure they can make adjustments.
So yes, provide some kind of cover or shelter so they can escape if needed.

Jazzbell772

lynnedit said:
They do like rain, but not flooding/torrential rain. In the wild, they have dry burrows to retreat to if needed.
Mediterranean tortoises certainly should not be cold and wet. A nice summer rain is one thing....

The idea is to give them options. Louisiana is not their native climate, so you need to make sure they can make adjustments.
So yes, provide some kind of cover or shelter so they can escape if needed.

Yea the torrential rain is definitely different than some states...I'm originally from Pennsylvania...that's why I was asking. I'd love to see your plans so I could get some ideas.