Tortoise not satisfied in new enclosure

Dasten

ok so i got my tort a kiddy pool for a new enclosure, (i did have her in a 10 gal tank) and now she wants out of the kiddy pool. she isnt very big and ive been told that she has enough space but i dont know what she wants from me T-T

pfara

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
It depends on a lot of things. Do you have the correct temps? Is there enough enrichment in there to keep the guy busy? Are there spots to hide in or places to get away from the light? Sometimes torts just go crazy being moved to new surroundings since they're creatures of habit. I'd freak out if someone put me in new, unknown territory. If the correct conditions are met, just give the tort space and time to get used to the new routine.

M

Maggie Cummings

If you are confident she is set up correctly, just give her some time to get used to it. It's strange to her...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Tortoises are territorial and her territory was that 10 gallon tank. They don't always know what's best for them. Re-read the care sheets and make sure you have the pool set up properly with the correct heat and light, with a couple of hiding places and a good substrate, and just give her time to claim the new pool as her new territory.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
It always will take tort in a new environment to settle down get used to it.
If it's too hot, she might also be trying to scramble away from the heat.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Perhaps getting a second pool and cut most of the bottom out....then flip it and place/attach it directly to the bottom one...this will allow you to offer deep substrate and will then cut off her view of the ledge..and a tort with a ledge in sight...is a tort convinced it can scale that ledge....lol...just my opinion...

Dasten

she has gotten alot better, she seems to be sleeping alot more than normal, she eats normally and i still soak her but she is burrowing into the dirt under her log a lot more than normal. it is fall here would that have anything to do with her behavior?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
it is fall here would that have anything to do with her behavior?

Yes. Absolutely. To prevent them from wanting to hibernate you'll need to increase the light cycle to 13-14 hours a day, possibly brighten it up by adding more light, and warming temps up a bit over all. I like to soak them regularly at this time too as it perks them right up. After the soak I rinse them and put them back in front of the food bowl, which they typically empty rather quickly. On days I skip the soaks, the food is often hardly touched.

Alaskamike

South Florida
Yes. Absolutely. To prevent them from wanting to hibernate you'll need to increase the light cycle to 13-14 hours a day, possibly brighten it up by adding more light, and warming temps up a bit over all. I like to soak them regularly at this time too as it perks them right up. After the soak I rinse them and put them back in front of the food bowl, which they typically empty rather quickly. On days I skip the soaks, the food is often hardly touched.
I've noticed this too with all mine. I soak every other day. On those days they seem to eat more. Curious.