Outdoor Enclosure Question

CindyWho4

Location (City and/or State)
Central Illinois
Hi :) I've looked a little in the forums but didn't find an exact answer. I apologize if I just missed it and this is a repost of sorts. I'm planning an outdoor enclosure for a Russian, to go up as soon as spring comes. I'm thinking big above-ground garden box with a secure top to keep Gamera in and animals out. What I'm wondering is...are RTs particularly good burrowers? Do I need to dig down and put some chicken wire or something down first? I know this is important with some breeds, but I'm unsure with RTs. Thanks!

CindyWho4

Central Illinois
Ok thank you! Neither of mine have ever done more than kinda dig down and cover a little of their shells in substrate, but I've never been able to have one outside for long. Wanted to be sure. I'd be heartbroken to lose one.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Yep, russians are VERY good diggers and climbers, so it needs t0o be VERY secure! Mine does not like to dig outside, for some reason, but I put fencing in the dirt and around the sides anyway! Raised garden beds are a good choice for a simple, easy outdoor area! I would def take the precaution just to secure it more.