New outdoor enclosure finished!

Status
Not open for further replies.

fgately

5 Year Member
I just completed the enclosure for my three RTs.

030.JPG

All of the wood is redwood and the footings are 12 inches deep of solid concrete. The walls are eclosed with galvanized wire mesh and the gate even has a self closing hinge along with a secure padlock (so my three year old son can't open it). I even dug down and installed a drain that connects to the main storm drain for our backyard. I overbuilt the heck out of this thing but I wanted to be absolutely sure they would be secure from escaping and secure from any possible predation. I used about 600 pounds of concrete for the post holes and footings. This thing is SOLID!

The hides in the pictures are made of poulty wire and mortar. These things are probably strong enough for a car to drive over. They are really fun to build and actually inexpensive. I am going to make a bigger and better one since I know a bit about how to construct them now.

I planted some edible dwarf aloe as well as elephant bush (Portulacaria afra). The enclosure is nestled next to a lemon tree and a fuerte avocado tree. Some squash plants are growing along the ground as well. Notice that they also have a feeding area as well as a nice shallow water dish. I will construct some sort of hinged top, or even make the top tall enough to walk in soon.

This project took quite a bit of work, and I am pretty happy with it. My three curious RTs seem to be enjoying the sunshine together. While I was working on this project the torties would often walk up to check out what I was doing. They are so curious and gutsy! Notice the major growth rings of the two females (the two on top) in the last picture. Both of them were smaller than the male last year.

Let me know what you think!

Attachments

• 031.JPG
    031.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 125
  • 033.JPG
    033.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 100
  • 035.JPG
    035.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 101
  • 038.JPG
    038.JPG
    996.3 KB · Views: 78
Last edited by a moderator:

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
So very awesome.....they have no idea all of the sweat you put into it....but I am sure they will love it......good job :D :D

fgately

5 Year Member
The padlock is there so my three year old son doesn't open up the gate to see the "turtle house" and leave the gate open. I will be adding either a hinged top or build a top tall enough for me to walk in soon. The hard part is done!

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
fgately said:
The padlock is there so my three year old son doesn't open up the gate to see the "turtle house" and leave the gate open. I will be adding either a hinged top or build a top tall enough for me to walk in soon. The hard part is done!

Okay I do completely understand that... It looks fantastic they way it is...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Frank! I love it. I love the hides. I love the construction. I love the attention to every last detail. NICE JOB!

Your russians are gorgeous too. I think we might need to start seeing more pics of them. Please let all of us know when you start getting babies out of that bunch.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I think that enclosure looks great, seems like a lot of work went into it.

fgately

5 Year Member
Thanks for all of the positive responses.

I did put in quite a bit of work and thought into it. I wanted this to be a permanent home for them, and I didn't want to worry about them ever getting out, or our dogs getting in. You can't really tell from the pictures, but those footings go down another 12 inches into the ground. I even had some rebar sitting in my garage so I stuck it into the footings as well. Yup, overbuilt but it is done right!

Another element I thought about was the position of the sun. The pictures I included were taken in the late morning. After about 1pm, the enclosure starts to get some shade, and by 3pm, it almost all in the shade. They get lots of morning sun and can hide when it is too hot. Late afternoon they are in the shade again. It is 3pm right now and all three are out eating and exploring. I love just watching them do their thing. I do miss seeing them roaming around my backyard, but now it's easier to observe them, because they are all in one place.

Even my lazy male seems to be more interested in the two females. I guess he doesn't have to chase them around as much.

marinaresident

5 Year Member
Monterey, CA
I like it. Great job! I'm glad you'll be adding a top just to be safe for their own sake. Again, great job!

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Very Nice set up ~ .... gotta love the garden too! :p

JD~:)

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
What a great enclosure. Love it. Like your idea of hides too. That way you can make them any size and shape you want.

Your torts a very nice too

Guggie

10 Year Member!
Vernon Hills, IL
It looks great. 2 questions. How big is it? And what do you think about documenting how you make the next hide? I really like those.

fgately

5 Year Member
I am so happy to get such positive feedback. Thanks!

The enclosure is 3 by 12 feet.

I will take pictures of the next concrete (actually mortar) hide I will build this week. I have a much better understanding of how to build them now. I kinda wish I had a big tort so I could build a big hide! They are really fun to construct and very inexpensive. The basics of all you need is some mortar, stucco lath, galvanized wire, a mixing pail, and a cheap concrete trowel from Home Depot or Lowes. I will post pictures of the materials as well as the progress. I want to make a bigger one with a much longer entrance.

Status
Not open for further replies.