Outdoor enclosure help needed

spud's_mum

Location (City and/or State)
United Kingdom
So I was thinking, when spud lives outside in the summer (when he outgrows his enclosure) he is going to need an enclosure. at the moment I am thinking something along the lines of this (for night times) : ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1431207510.299873.jpg obviously I would somehow create a door that I can open for the daytime. Now, here's my questions: will it need to be heated? And what will I do about ventilation? Or is there something else I could do to keep him warm at night? Thanks :D

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I'm thinking the greenhouse would overheat.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I have heard that greenhouses do not hold their heat at night. How cold does it get at night during the summer?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I would say our UK night time temp range for summer could be between 6 -12'C maybe more if we are having a rare heat wave.

Have you had a look at Tom's heated outdoor box for ideas?

spud's_mum

United Kingdom
I would say our UK night time temp range for summer could be between 6 -12'C maybe more if we are having a rare heat wave.

Have you had a look at Tom's heated outdoor box for ideas?
No, i will take look. So i would have to heat it? could i insulate it and just heat it ip for an hour?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
if you look at Toms box it is well insulated and has heat on a thermostat which will keep temps constant but think he may use his all year round - and our temps/climate are different but it will give you some ideas.

spud's_mum

United Kingdom
if you look at Toms box it is well insulated and has heat on a thermostat which will keep temps constant but think he may use his all year round - and our temps/climate are different but it will give you some ideas.
Ok thankyou :) i was hoping i wouldn't have to heat it as i don't have electricity outside :p if i do have to heat it will need a rethink lol

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
No I don't have outside power either so my tort is going to have to come in at nights.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
This is Tom's design but could make it smaller and adapt to suit your tort of course http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-66867.html

The temps must still be in the correct range for Spud so if you can't run power then take him in overnight if possible rather than risk him getting too cold, Lola is a Leopard so it would definitely be too cold for him without heat.

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
If it over heats in the day then he will have an open door to come in and out as he pleases. :)
Be careful, especially young tortoises don't always leave an overheated cold frame but rather try to hide in there, it can be dangerous. It would be better to use an automatic window opener (doesn't need electricity).

My cold frame holds the heat quite well. On the contrary, I have to leave a gap open at night or it stays too warm. I only use a heat lamp when the weather is very bad for longer than 2 or 3 days in a row (but that hardly ever happens).

spud's_mum

United Kingdom
Be careful, especially young tortoises don't always leave an overheated cold frame but rather try to hide in there, it can be dangerous. It would be better to use an automatic window opener (doesn't need electricity).

My cold frame holds the heat quite well. On the contrary, I have to leave a gap open at night or it stays too warm. I only use a heat lamp when the weather is very bad for longer than 2 or 3 days in a row (but that hardly ever happens).
Ok thats a relief! thanks :D I will keep the top open of a day time if its too hot :)

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
Ok thats a relief! thanks :D I will keep the top open of a day time if its too hot :)
But are you at home the whole day? Maybe you leave it closed because it's cold and rainy in the morning but later the sun comes out... That's risky.:confused:
Or the other way round, if you leave it open the whole day even when the weather is bad it won't warm up at all.

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
Or maybe I could prop it open slightly?
You can, but it doesn't make much sense to me. On a cool cloudy day it will not heat up, even if it's just slightly opened. But that's why you have the cold frame in the first place, on warm and sunny days the tortoise doesn't really need it.

I still think that an automatic window opener is the easiest solution.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I've seen battery operated fans used by some in their closed heated chambers to keep air circulating so if you felt the need you could look for one of those but if you put it on in morning then it goes cloudy and temps drop you wouldn't want to circulate cold air.

spud's_mum

United Kingdom
Yeah, I mean I'm glad I started thinking about this early as it's very tricky lol ill have to rethink my options

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Yes iit is hard knowing what to do for the best. I'm going to be having building work done this summer so whatever I do will have to be temporary. \my old lean to is coming down and thinking of extending the replacement so that Lola can have his own sun room - funds allowing!