Redfoot outdoor enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Alhambra, CA
I just wanted to get some opinions on Dale's enclosure. Originally we were thinking about a dog run for Dale, but then I saw a greenhouse at Costco.com. Now my question is since Cherryheads need humidity would this be a good option or not? I could grow lots of plants for him in there and it has an opening at the top for ventilation. What do you think? From what I'm reading on this site they don't need a lot of light or do they? Candy :)

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
I myself have considered a setup similar to this for my little guys. It needs to be well ventilated (to prevent heat build) and secure at bottom. It would frustrate predators and provide diffused light. RFs aren't big baskers and spend a mojority of their time in shade and dappled light.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have a little greenhouse. Its about 8' x 10' with plywood sides at the bottom. I have shade cloth on the south side of the roof. It also has an automatic vent in the roof that opens to allow the hot air to escape. I wouldn't dream of putting a tortoise in there in the summer time unless I had a little evaporative cooler in there. It gets extremely hot inside. If its 90 degrees outside, its at least 120 degrees inside. And that's with the vent open and shade cloth on one side.

greenhouse.jpg

Yvonne

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Wow! You have a lot of property Yvonne. Thanks for the experienced word I would have not thought it would reach those kind of temps. in there. Do any of your tortoises go into that one that you have? Candy:cool:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No, its strictly for cactus. Most of the cacti that I have can't take freezing winters, so I gather them all up and stuff them in the green house for the winter. When I first got the greenhouse I made the mistake of putting a female Russian in there on the floor, thinking it would be a good place to quarantine her. I went out several hours later to check on her and she was foaming from the mouth and in dire straights. I was able to save her, and learned a good lesson that day (at the tortoise's expense).

Yvonne

Status
Not open for further replies.