Out from the undergrown, but a question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nay

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Belchertown Ma
Both my Ornates have surfaced from their winter wonderland.
Fluffy, the male, who I have only had a year came out on Sunday. Louise, who I have had for about 10 years, and this is her first hibernation, came out Wed. They both seem a good solid weight, look pretty clear and happy, peeing all over me. But the question is both their beaks are pretty grown. I have no problem trimming them, but curious if that was normal the have growth when sleeping?
If that's the worse, I am thrilled!! It was scarey, but thanks to all who gave me some great ideas on how to prepare the beds.
Won't be quite as worried next year.
Here's Louise, right after emerging:

29on5sl.jpg

and here's Fluffy:

105nuyf.jpg

Here's Fuffy in some pretty cold water!!

2dvsmt0.jpg

Nay

SailingMystic

5 Year Member
Chester County, PA
You are right. Those beaks grew. I'm not an expert, but wanted to chime in because my three-toed box turtles' nails also grew a lot!! ESP the back. Also- I had mine inside and they are out during the day in their pen-- active in the sun, but I'm worried about an early spring and temps dropping again fast (on east coast). What's the coldest temp for a box and a Russian? I may do what you are doing and leave them out, but I'm nervous about it. It's nice to read about your success! :)

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Torts slow down when they hibernate. They don't stop. Growth of claws, beak and shell is entirely normal.

nicoleandrocky

5 Year Member
California
they look really cute with their heads poking out :D
I'm pretty sure that shell growth, beak, and their nails is normal, good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.