Status
Not open for further replies.

Nay

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Belchertown Ma
Hi, Fluffy came out today ,find him:

algthc.jpg

He doesn't look too bad, a little light,but we are expected to get teens again this week at night. Question should I offer food? His wife Louise is staying underground, but he had to come out during this warm break.
Thanks Nay

6p5kd0.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No, I wouldn't offer food yet. Wait until the nights are consistently over 50F all the time. A nice, warm soak is in order, though. Quite a few of my box turtles are awake too. It was only 45F this a.m. when I went outside and there were already two of them out looking for a sunning spot.

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
Thanks Yvonne, that's what I kinda thought too, but we always want to offer food!! He buried himself again, so I guess he knew it was too soon.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
As well as not offering food now, when they do come out they should always be allowed to drink first. It is never a good idea to offer food before they have an opportunity to expel wastes from their long brumation. Food should never be forced upon them. They should first be allowed to bask and warm up to active level temperatures, drink to flush their system and them begin looking for food.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I love that sleepy head look on their faces....no matter what species of turtle/tort, it is that lovely little "hey, whats up" look....:D

Status
Not open for further replies.